Question about visual mods for KSP 1.2.1

Jeb!

Hello,

It seems I just updated to 1.2, and I looked back and 1.2.1 came out already! :sticktongue:

I just got a new machine with a GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 graphics card, and a i5-6600K CPU to go with it, so this computer is no pushover. I can run quite a few mods and with maxed out graphics settings in KSP now. I'm fairly new to modding in KSP, and I'm wondering what are the best visual effect mods to use to make water, terrain, atmosphere, and space more realistic. I know CKAN hasn't been completely updated to 1.2.1 yet, but I can wait. I've tried out a few vismods in the past, but I'd like to know what vismods you guys typically use?

Thanks

Edited by Jeb!

Stock Visual Enhancements is in my opinion one of the best out there for realistic visuals in stock (or rescaled) ksp. I would suggest against using CKAN and follow the manual install instructions, they are very easy and straight forward. It utilizes EVE and Scatterer and looks fantastic.

I would also suggest installing Stock Visual Terrain with it as well, it retextures the planets with higher resolution textures, however it requires Kopernicus and Kopernicus hasn't been updated to 1.2.1 yet.

Installing mods manually on KSP is probably the easiest modding experience out there and I highly recommend you learn how, also if you are using a Steam copy of the game I would suggest making a copy of your game files and modding that one, that way any ksp updates wont insta break your game and possibly wreck your saves.

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

Stock Visual Enhancements is in my opinion one of the best out there for realistic visuals in stock (or rescaled) ksp. I would suggest against using CKAN and follow the manual install instructions, they are very easy and straight forward. It utilizes EVE and Scatterer and looks fantastic.

I would also suggest installing Stock Visual Terrain with it as well, it retextures the planets with higher resolution textures, however it requires Kopernicus and Kopernicus hasn't been updated to 1.2.1 yet.

Thank you! I have been attempting to use CKAN, but I am increasingly running into problems with it. I don't plan to be constantly enabling and disabling mods, so manually installing them would seem to be the more stable solution.

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

Installing mods manually on KSP is probably the easiest modding experience out there and I highly recommend you learn how, also if you are using a Steam copy of the game I would suggest making a copy of your game files and modding that one, that way any ksp updates wont insta break your game and possibly wreck your saves.

As for Steam, I did know about that. Steam is not a smart way to use KSP unless you plan to use no mods or use tons of backup installs. I fell for it once, but I won't again. Their customer support (or rather lack thereof) speaks for itself. I bought KSP from Squad. Squad made the program, Squad has the support, so Squad gets the money. :) I wish all logic could be that easy. That's all I have to say about that!

Back to vismods, does anyone else have any more suggestions?

If you want more of a fanciful / sci-fi look I would suggest keeping an eye on Astronomers new visual pack

Astronomer has made arguably some of the best EVE packs out there, I don't know if any of them are working with the current version of EVE but some google and forum searching will surely point you in the right direction. Combine them with Scatterer and I am sure you can come up with something absolutely gorgeous if you are willing to put in a little bit of effort getting everything set up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.