How to Launch Large Bases and Orbiting Stations

Has anyone found an efficient way to launch large space stations or bases?

I have spent the last few days trying to launch a Munar base using the ExPI - Space Station mod. I\'m trying to build a simple square base made of 4 2x3 station modules with nodes at the corners, but I can\'t seem to get a rocket stable enough to even get into orbit.

I made a base made entirely of stock liquid fuel tanks so I could just have the base double as fuel for a smaller lifter, but even that didn\'t work.

With the station mod I\'m going to try to put a small rocket under each corner, but I\'m not hopeful..

Another idea: use the Orbital Construction mod to land a small rover or lander on the moon with the Space Dock part, and just land multiple missions next to it with the Cargo Ship part and parts for the station. Then build the base with the Space Built part. Unfortunately, I have little experience with that mod so I don\'t know if the space built part puts the design next to the space dock (no matter where it is) or just in orbit.

Ideas?

If you don\'t mind a little editing of the persistence file, you can put anything into orbit.

First, launch a simple craft into the orbit you want to use. Name it Placeholder.

Then build your station and make it as big as you want. Using the SPH makes this easier. Just make sure the bottom has a few stand offs so it won\'t collapse on the runway.

Once it\'s built, hit launch to get it on the runway.

Exit the game and load the persistence file up in notepad.

Find the Placeholder vessel and copy all of the orbital info.

Locate the station vessel and paste over and replace the stations orbital info with the placeholder info.

Go back and delete the entire placeholder vessel.

Save the file.

Now, when you restart the game, your station will be in orbit where the placeholder was.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I found that it is easier to build a long and thick rocket to carry it, like with the new huge fuel tanks. Then it is more stable and start turning after you get out of the thicker atmospere. And remember much rcs-fuel and nozzles!