Two Launch Mission To Eve and Back in 1.2

Firemetal

So last night, I went to Eve and back for my first time ever. I brought a 42 ton sea level lander and with the re-entry and landing gear, 53 tons. I also took a small-ish return vehicle so that Jeb could come home afterwards. The mission went very well. Take a look at the pictures here.

Anyway, I ran into two major issues with this mission. The first one was that I really need to work on my ladder skills. Jeb hit the ground two hard as well as falling off again and taking one of the solar panels with him. Luckily he survived that one though. The second issue is that I have six external tanks that drop off in pairs of twos First two have aerospikes but after that, vector FTW! Anyways the last two kept smashing into my engine even though I was pointed prograde the whole time. then after at least five tries, I got lucky and they just missed the engine. It also turned out that while testing this lander, I ascended from 1.8km and got into LEO with 822m/s left. I ascended from 432m this time and had the exact same amount of DV when I got to orbit. Man that must of been a good ascent!

xQwsNsy.jpg

But anyway, now I can say I have landed on and returned from every body in the game. I have also done a close to sea level return with a lander that is under 50 tons. What is left to do? Start Colonizing planets? Explore OPM? Yeah. KSP never gets boring.

But that's it for now.

Fire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.