rescue mission in ocean

Hello, 

I have a little problem. I accepted a rescue mission that is in the ocean and every time I get close to the surveyors they "fall" to the ground of the ocean (1000m deep) and can´t get back. Is there any possible workaround for this this? I play with contract configurator and the KerbinSideJobs mod.

I don't understand why they can't get back. It sounds like your rescue mission is only to recover the Kerbals?

If you fly an airplane to the ocean above them, and land on the water, you will only be 1000m away from them. So you are within the 2.2km limit. Switch focus to the craft on the bottom. EVA one kerbal.

Kerbals float, so you should be easily able to swim to the surface. Board the plane. Switch focus back to the craft on the bottom, and EVA the next kerbal.

What part of this isn't working?

I had a glitch kind of like this - I was supposed to recover some debris on the surface of the Mun, but it fell through the ground when I selected it. I think somehow I just tried it over and over again and eventually it worked.  

You could try looking at Hyperedit to move the thing another location.  Or use the Alt-F12 menu to move it back into orbit, then send up a small craft with a Klaw and parachutes to deorbit it again. 

You could use the Alt-F12 menu to complete the contract, but that will probably not result in recovering the Kerbal.  It might take some heavy savegame editing to get the Kerbal back if you can't recover the craft using the in-game recover option. 

1 hour ago, Aegolius13 said:

I had a glitch kind of like this - I was supposed to recover some debris on the surface of the Mun, but it fell through the ground when I selected it. I think somehow I just tried it over and over again and eventually it worked.  

You could try looking at Hyperedit to move the thing another location.  Or use the Alt-F12 menu to move it back into orbit, then send up a small craft with a Klaw and parachutes to deorbit it again. 

You could use the Alt-F12 menu to complete the contract, but that will probably not result in recovering the Kerbal.  It might take some heavy savegame editing to get the Kerbal back if you can't recover the craft using the in-game recover option. 

I used to play save-all-Kerbals (prohibitive now with the contract system adapting to what you do--keep rescuing Kerbals and it gives you more Kerbals to rescue than you can) and so I took some of those surface rescue contracts.  The Kerbal was always on the surface but the stuff you were supposed to rescue often fell into the ground.  I just rescued the Kerbal and Alt-F12ed the contract at that point.

On 5.3.2017 at 7:05 PM, Aegolius13 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn´t aware of the Alt-F12 menu. After some more trying and more death kerbals, I competed the contract by that.

11 minutes ago, Maschbauer said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn´t aware of the Alt-F12 menu. After some more trying and more death kerbals, I competed the contract by that.

Cool.  Just curious,  what happened to the Kerbal?  Is he still in the ship, did he disappear,  is he on your astronaut roster,  etc?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.