Acessing Engine Thrust Animations.

I'm trying to make a multi-mode engine, and what I'd like it to be able to do is switch between the thrust animation that comes with the part I'm fiddling with, and the thrust animation from the Aerospike rocket. The issue I'm running into is that it seems that the animation in question is forever locked within the parts .mu file, and importing it into Blender hasn't let me extract it. Is there any way for me to access this animation in "in post" so to speak, or am I going to need to essentially model/animate/texture my own engine from scratch in order to get the kinda thrust patterns I'd like?

Might want to check out SmokeScreen, it will definitely allow you to do what you are trying to do, and for a bunch of pre-made engine effects pick up RealPlume Stock. Take some time studying the configs included in RealPlume and the documentation available in the SmokeScreen thread, it's a lot of stuff to figure out but once you get the hang of it you can do some pretty cool stuff.

Thank you. To let you in on what I'm doing a bit, I'm trying to make a semi-realistic recreation of the engine that Spike Spiegel's personal fighter craft, the Swordfish 2, uses. It's described as a "Rolls-Royce Axial Fusion Aerospike Turbine" engine, so what I'm basically designing it to be is a dual-mode engine with an air-breathing mode that functions similarly to an Indirect Air Cycle Thermonuclear Jet Engine (which will consume no fuel ala the Mk2 Rontgen), and a "closed cycle" mode that engages a hypothetical Solid Core Nuclear Aerospike Rocket that will only need to consume LiquidFuel.

Thank you as well, Warez. It seems at this point that I've all but replaced the stock engine configs with a Frankensteinian amalgamation of three different config mods, the learning curve to master all three of them might be somewhat steep, but it'll be worth it to get to blast Tank! by the Seatbelts while doing an aileron roll just before leaving atmo.

7 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

I order to get the animation right, you need to look into how it works through the effects nodes.

And while on the subject of multi mode engines, you could check out the GTIndustries mod.... It is basically only doing multi mode thingi's

Scratch that, drunkenly copied a .cfg file into folder above the parts folder, causing it to keep loading a broken version.

Edited by Tompete Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.