KSP 1.2.2, lots of mods, crashes on scene change only

It's been a long time since it crashed at any other time but scene changes are very risky.  It leaves behind a dated directory with a crash.dmp file that is binary (or zero bytes) and an error.log that is text.

Every error log that I have examined was an access violation, almost always a write to an xx000000 address, for low values of xx, sometimes even 00.

I have observed the same behavior on two different machines, both running Win 7/64.

I find the reported memory numbers strange:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Loren.
36% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [130 MB free].

Is this an out of memory crash?  I thought it used the 64 bit version on suitable machines.

Of course there is the standard approach of getting rid of mods and seeing what happens but I've got enough this would be a painful exercise.

10 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I thought it used the 64 bit version on suitable machines.

There is a 64 bit executable available but Steam does not use that one by default, you either have to manually create a shortcut to it or right click on Kerbal Space Program in your Steam launcher and tell it to run KSP 64 bit.  Might be able to do it through launch options in Steam but I don't know how off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Nergal8617 said:

There is a 64 bit executable available but Steam does not use that one by default, you either have to manually create a shortcut to it or right click on Kerbal Space Program in your Steam launcher and tell it to run KSP 64 bit.  Might be able to do it through launch options in Steam but I don't know how off the top of my head.

That makes me think it's a memory issue that is causing something stupid to happen.  I'll try running the other .EXE and see if it behaves better.

6 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

That makes me think it's a memory issue that is causing something stupid to happen.

I'm not sure what is causing it.  I've seen it in several logs people have posted looking for help but I've never seen a definite answer on what exactly is causing it.  If trying the other .EXE doesn't help you might try verifying your game files through Steam, just make sure you don't have any mods in your Game Data folder when you do.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:16 PM, Nergal8617 said:

I'm not sure what is causing it.  I've seen it in several logs people have posted looking for help but I've never seen a definite answer on what exactly is causing it.  If trying the other .EXE doesn't help you might try verifying your game files through Steam, just make sure you don't have any mods in your Game Data folder when you do.

Verifies fine (except for one config change I've made that gets reverted on verification), two different machines.  Looking over my setup it's apparent I was sometimes using the 32-bit version, sometimes the 64-bit version.  I'll see if things behave better now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.