How to perform an interplanetary hohmann transfer burn

aceassasin

Yeah - timing is going to be a real pain to get right without slightly more sophisticated navigation tools. On the plus side, it's likely those planets will have a much larger SOI. I'm rather hoping that they make the spheres a bit larger for planets. This should make it a lot easier to correct for a slight mistiming, as it'll show you hitting the SOI from quite a way out. Doesn't take much of a mid-course correcting to turn a near-miss into a hit.

The more distance between a planet and the sun, the larger the SOI of a planet will be. A planet with a radius only half of that of Kerbin might however have a larger SOI, due to less oppression of solar gravity ...

Distance from the Sun has nothing to do with it. The sizes of the various spheres of influence are dictated solely by the mass of the respective celestial body. For a more in-depth discussion, see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_of_influence_%28astrodynamics%29

I suppose sphere of influence isn't quite what I meant above. What would be really useful is a way to show your trajectory relative to a body. At the moment I think it does this once you intersect the SOI, but it'd be great if either there was an option to toggle it for a specific body, or the volume for which this display was toggled at was larger.

Also - Arrowstar - that wikipedia article contradicts your statement. The scaling factor ap has very much to do with the distance from the sun.

Well we already have some really nice tools in our hands to do the calculation without knowing the actual maths behind it, but without understand the maths it will still be painfully hard to do more complex things, so I'd say we better start rewrite all the tutorial in ksp wiki instead(and if possible, make some video about it as well.

If it's anything like my plan to mimic Curiosity's trajectory:

1. Take a wild guess about when to launch.

2. While in low Kerbin orbit burn to get Ap such that by the time you get there it will be about half-way between Kerbin's orbit and the orbit of the target.

3. When at Ap, burn to put (new) Ap at intersection with the orbit of the target planet.

4. Hope for the best.

..i can already see how this is going to fail horribly. Apply more pixy dust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.