[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Sadly it's not all that possible for me to ensure the same kind of command delays in MechJeb since doing so would require a rewrite of key parts of MechJeb. It's surely possible to do. Other mods can fetch RemoteTech data (like signal delay and so forth) very easily. In fact Chatterer has recently been updated to make use of the RemoteTech interface. But making other mods RemoteTech compatible can't be my decision or job. Especially in case of MechJeb I doubt if I'd even be able to do it myself.

JDP, I know I've made a couple of posts about the MJ issue, but... I didn't know you'd written an interface exposing RT data to other plugins. This is great! I might take a little look, and see what I can do :cool:

Can the flight computer handle setting up multiple burns? or do they get erased when you swap to another ship?

They get erased when you switch focus just like in stock. If the other ship is within 2 km of the ship you're controlling, you can always access it's flight computer from the "list comsats" menu (the CTRL button) and set it up to follow the same burn vector.

They get erased when you switch focus just like in stock. If the other ship is within 2 km of the ship you're controlling, you can always access it's flight computer from the "list comsats" menu (the CTRL button) and set it up to follow the same burn vector.

Hmm ill have to use that to control other ships. Does the Romfarer adjustment to render distance (up to 98km) apply to controlling other vehicles via remote apply as well?

Hmm ill have to use that to control other ships. Does the Romfarer adjustment to render distance (up to 98km) apply to controlling other vehicles via remote apply as well?

Actually RT already boosts the range to 2km (in stock it can be as low as 250 metres). It does this using the same method as Romfarer did. So the two will probably interfere with each other

I just cannot figure this out. I'vs set up a small initial relay network around Kerbin consisting of 4 satellites at 90 degree angles in geostationary orbit. The satellites are all controllable through signals relayed from KSC. I was trying to set up 2 satellites around the Mun but my satellite there keeps losing contact even though all the dishes are the interplanetary one with the 50 Gm range and the ones with line of sight are pointed at the Mun satellite. All dishes are active, and all probes have power.

Boom, just to verify the following:

1) all sats have power?

2) the sats around kerbal have which Dish? they are open? they are pointing to "Mun"? Best to point at MUN not an individual sat.

3) the sats around Mun have which dish? they are open? they are pointing to "kerbin"? Best to point at KERBIN not an individual sat.

2 sats around Mun are not likely to be enough for 100% coverage, due to the possibility that they will fall behind the darkside, and NOT also be in line-of-sight antenna range of the other Mun sat. 3 is the true minimum, but 4 is easyier to insure coverage.

All sats have power. All sats have activated remotetech satellite dish interplanetary class. The kerbin satellites that have line of sight to the Mun satellite are pointed at it.

The Mun satellite is not actually in orbit around the Mun but sharing an orbit slightly in front of the Mun.

Ahhh ok, if sat A ands at B are both in the same SOI then they have to point directly to each other, not to 'kerbin' or 'mun'

So unless the mun sat has 4 dishes, each pointing at a different kerbin sat, then this wont work

Oh and the kerbin sats have the have 2 dishes, each pointing at one of the two mun sats.

Edited by Fyrem

Hi i am new to remote tech and I cant get any satellites into orbit I use Mech jeb and something interferes with the planned flight, I dont understand what this flight computer is can you turn this option off and just have mechjeb do all the maneuver nodes is there a tutorial that can help out the noobs.

Thanks for any assistance you can give

I am using mechjeb 2.08

Hi i am new to remote tech and I cant get any satellites into orbit I use Mech jeb and something interferes with the planned flight, I dont understand what this flight computer is can you turn this option off and just have mechjeb do all the maneuver nodes is there a tutorial that can help out the noobs.

Thanks for any assistance you can give

I am using mechjeb 2.08

Back when I started using remotetech 6 months ago or so, there was a bug where you couldn't have Mechjeb and RT installed on the same craft. Hope that isn't back.

Later we got a button that let us give Mechjeb control. When launching, look for a RemoteTech window on your screen, and make sure "MechJeb Control" is selected.

I don't know if this is a bug or a "feature"... but I can't get anything further than 2km away... if I deploy antenna or dish they fall off at a certain wind speed... if this is a deliberate feature how do i edit the config to get rid of it? I don't have any atmospheric mod so it can't be that...

Yep I can see that but turning it off or on neither makes mechjeb work or the flight computer basically gets to 350 kms and then it cant execute the circulation burn and burns up coming back down and mech jeb button goes red flight computer opens but cant select anything. So i just watch it burn up and crash

Mechjeb integrates with RemoteTech, it means if you are out of contact of any RT signal, Mechjeb fails too. So you need too keep MJ allways supplied with a RT signal.

Without a network setup, as soon you're rocket is out of KSC's sight, you loose all control, with or without Mechjeb.

Best way is too setup right away 3 sattelites in a Geostationairy Orbit around Kerbin, if you lanch a rocket at 60 degrees inclanation, all the way straight up too 2868.4 km and deploy it there, you can do it with no pod, pure on RT/MJ control, because you'r rocket stays all the way within sight of KSC.

Or launch an manned rocket with into a lower orbit, and move the sattelites from there into they positions. (3 Sattelites should suffice, RT supplies you with the sats needed, just strap them onto the hull and deploy them on there positions)

I had the same problem, I used the tiny antenna with 250 km of range witch doesn't go away in atmosphere and deployed others antennas in space.

hmm... trying to use stock parts. I'll keep digging around and see how I can fix it.

I must be doing something fundamentally wrong or it hates me i cannot get it to keep a signal

I had this problem too at first, You probably turn into the gravity turn and then you lose signal due to being out of line of sight with the base.

What I did to solve this was to make a Sat with dishes launched it on top of a manned vehicle.

Parked it in space, then another and another. Soon you have no gaps and can launch everything!

One thing that bugs me is that when you lost a signal, it doesn't turn MechJeb back on when signal is restored.

Would be a nice option... hint hint mister Dev :)

Great plugin, makes you sweat even with mechJeb! :P

p.s. turning on the blue signal lines on your map display also helps you find where it is going wrong ;)

Hello, I got a strange problem. Everything works fine, but now suddenly my four GSO relaissatellites stop working. Each relaissatellite has one 5 Mm normal antenna and three 50 Gm dishes (one always pointed at Mun, the other two randomly closed, none or some other satellite). Now in theory the 5 Mm antenna should allow communication between the relaissatellites, but only the satellite above KSC has connection to the command center even without a 50 Gm parabolic antenna pointing at it.

All other ships/satellites/stations I checked have no connection even when they were below GSO and a line of sight to the only working relaissatellite exists. Two rovers at KSC are working (< 1 km distance to the command base).

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Any chance compatibility will be added with the new default cores added to the stock game in .20? Took me ages to work out why my satellite wasn't working... had to put an old octo core on to fix it.

Oh wait... just look at cfg file and they are supported... why can't I get signal past 2km with the stack cores? Octo cores work fine. And yes I am extending antenna...

Nevermind! Fixed... it looks like the ships hull actually blocks line of sight? I must say this is a fantastic mod! I played with Lazor system for a while but it was a bit to Sci-Fi for my taste. This really adds to the feel of a real space race... even getting my first sputnik clone into orbit was a challenge. I recomend anyone using this gets chatterer as well as it integrates and plays radio appropriate to your signal.

Edited by Mulbin