Reach 1000 m/s in a Spaceplane

Background: Remember your first spaceplane that flew? Yeah that one. With the delta wings and the oddly spaced engines. You got it to 200 m/s before it got too unstable to control. You eventually got a feel for making spaceplanes after that disaster. You've got your massive spacebus, the speedy jet, the maneuverable stuntplane... but the purpose doesn't matter - just how fast they go!

Challenge: Reach 1000 m/s with a spaceplane

Rules:

-Stock parts only

-Only use the air-breathing jet engines for propulsion

-Must launch horizontally

-Must break the 1000m/s barrier while maintaining relatively level flight (+/- 10 degrees from the horizon)

-No exploiting glitches or hax

Post a screenshot of how fast you got!

mDkDu.jpg

You really don't need all those engines, I got to 600+ m/s on my single-engined Azure KITE(available only at Golden Stingray Inc.).

Will get back to this one tomorrow after Summer Camp.

I started trying to hit 1000 m/s in my quad-engine. Here, I'll make a graph for you of my attempts... Cf15N.png

My second try :P

I'm barely in level flight (-9deg) but at least no mech-jeb on board :3

YptME.png

Unfortunately as physics now stand drag is scaled by weight, so min fuel = best speed.

The challenge is interesting thou, i don't think true level flight (0+ deg) it would be easy, but there are better people than me on this forum who probably can do it with closed eyes and inverted :P

This is basically the Jet Engine Speed Challenge.

I haven't tried it again since 0.16 came out, but the physics of jet engines didn't change at all that I know of from 0.15.2 when I made that.

----

Ok, the jets haven't but the ability to hold together and steer that kind of craft definitely has. Redesigning now!

----

Gentlemen, I present to you the X-1 Speedy Gonzales!

Shortly after takeoff:

fG18p.jpg

Nearly out of fuel but I made it in completely level flight:

Z418u.png

I would say a better measure of "level flight" is less that 10 m/s on the vertical speed indicator.

Edited by khyron42

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! (1025,6m/s)

W6h01.png

The design was totally kerbal (just strap everything wherever) and it actually flew very straight and level without any input at 975m/s on maiden flight! I'm so proud of it =3

Dem Mexicans too fast. Really fun looking craft, needs a nosecone or sombrero. :P

Just made 1038,3 with 37 engines but it's over the limit of my old CPU, and it was at -6 deg attitude ... next time I'll try nice and level and post some pics :P.

edit:

upper picture: me sucking on keyboard flight - 1028,8 m/s level , lower: my CPU killer T_T -1038,3 m/s -7deg

hsfOZ.jpg

cheers =3

Edited by Nao

Oh, dear. This is going to end up back at my 39-engine beast if it keeps going.

I have to say khyron had this challenge licked when posted earlier in the Jet Engine Speed Challenge he mentioned. I managed to get within 10m/s or so of his speed but couldn't quite catch up. Good luck peeps!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.