Strange Relay Pathing

Carefully Careless

Hey guys,

I recently restarted my main campaign file on a harder difficulty, and while retrieving my first science data from Duna, My comms system was acting very abnormally. I have a small probe orbiting Ike, with a single "Comm DTS-M1" which is intended to bounce its signal off the strong relay in orbit of Duna, back to KSC. The probes connection to the relay is typically around 98%, and the relays connection to Kerbin in currently near its highest, at 95%. The problem is, when controlling the probe, the signal takes an unnecessary extra jump, from the Duna Relay to a low quality relay in a solar orbit. I am absolutely positive that nothing is in the way of the connection between the Duna relay and KSC, because when I am controlling the relay, it makes the connection with high signal strength, and very rare interruptions. The only times I can transmit my data from Ike with a decent connection are when Duna blocks the path to the crap relay. Its not the biggest hindrance, but it seems very strange to me, and if someone could explain whats going on here I would appreciate it.

55oR3x4.jpg

Guessing KSP thinks the additional step is the best path available.. you could test this out by quick-saving (optional step - I prefer not to delete craft in career mode.. not realistic imo), deleting that other relay thing and then seeing if the probe at Duna still has a connection. It probably shouldn't in this situation, or a weaker one if it does. If the signal is better, then that's beyond my expertise I'm afraid =/

2 hours ago, MR L A said:

Guessing KSP thinks the additional step is the best path available.. you could test this out by quick-saving (optional step - I prefer not to delete craft in career mode.. not realistic imo), deleting that other relay thing and then seeing if the probe at Duna still has a connection. It probably shouldn't in this situation, or a weaker one if it does. If the signal is better, then that's beyond my expertise I'm afraid =/

The thing is I can swap back and forth from the probe to it's relay, and when controlling the relay, it uses a direct path to KSC. The only time the bad relay is used is if I transmit from the probe.

Is the dish at Kerbin set to target the active ship?  If so, it'll connect to the Martian orbiter when it's active, but not when you're flying something else (like the probe). 

(Or maybe that's only RemoteTech targeting...I can't recall. But it's all I've got.)

Edited by Zophos
typo

1 hour ago, Zophos said:

Is the dish at Kerbin set to target the active ship?  If so, it'll connect to the Martian orbiter when it's active, but not when you're flying something else (like the probe). 

(Or maybe that's only RemoteTech targeting...I can't recall. But it's all I've got.)

Yeah, targeting active vessels is only with RemoteTech. Stock relay will should target anything in range with line of sight.

How does the full network look thru tracking station?

Maybe they have some hacky SOI hierarchy based approximation for general connectivity in case someone feels the need to sprinkle 10,000 relays across the system (they need the full network viewable in tracking station with no lag?).

So if they go moon->planet->sun->other planet as an approximation, it would give the path you get. Would expect them to override with precise calculations for transmission tho.

I wouldnt be surprised if the path depends on active vessel from simple numerical errors, because of the distances involved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.