Odd question Intel Xeon E3-1290 v2 vs Core i7 3770K

These are the top processors in the server and enthusiast class of processors for my motherboard. If I'm using a dedicated 1080 nvidia gpu, which would I see the better performance out of general gaming, and Kebal specifically? I am thinking that without the need for the on-board GPU the Ceon may be better. Appreciate your feedback/input.

17 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

These are the top processors in the server and enthusiast class of processors for my motherboard. If I'm using a dedicated 1080 nvidia gpu, which would I see the better performance out of general gaming, and Kebal specifically? I am thinking that without the need for the on-board GPU the Xeon may be better. Appreciate your feedback/input.

The thing is that while KSP is technically a multicore game, it sims each ship on 1 thread so in general, it's better to have fewer higher performance cores than more weaker ones. I'd go with the i7 because it has a higher speed per core (3.8gHz vs 3.6gHz). Keep in mind though that this doesn't apply to all games and if you want to be able to stream or do other things while KSP is open it might be better to get the Xeon.

15 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

The thing is that while KSP is technically a multicore game, it sims each ship on 1 thread so in general, it's better to have fewer higher performance cores than more weaker ones. I'd go with the i7 because it has a higher speed per core (3.8gHz vs 3.6gHz). Keep in mind though that this doesn't apply to all games and if you want to be able to stream or do other things while KSP is open it might be better to get the Xeon.

This may explain why things start to crawl when more than 3 objects are present in physics rendering on my 4 thread I5! Thanks.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Can't exactly agree with the numbers from  TheRagingIrishman (but can with with the point about single thread performance).

The 3770k = 3.5 GHz w/ 3.9 GHz Turbo (http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz)

The 1290 = 3.7 GHz w/ 4.1 GHz Turbo (https://ark.intel.com/products/series/78580/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-v2-Family)

The IPC of the cores would be the same (the v2 e3's are really Ivy Bridge i7's), so clock wins.  If you overclock, get the i7.  If you are going to stay stock, your actually better off with the e3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.