How to orbit Kerbol?

Welcome to the forums Ypkerbal,

A lot of my first rockets managed to escape Kerbin's SOI(sphere of influence) but it just takes a lot of power. Most of these designs had 1 or 2 large SRB(solid rocket booster) stages to get me out of the atmosphere and then LFE(liquid fuel engines) to push me further, I just went straight up no turns or anything.

If you are still having some issues doing this Ill post a .craft file for you

I found that a 7-engine launcher with 2 tanks each, and another 2-tank plus a smaller engine can take you to Kerbol orbit without any trouble (except the Kraken). I'm talking about the new, bigger parts here. The smaller engine is really, really lacking in thrust, though, so it takes a while to do your burns.

Here's a couple of tips.

First, raw power. Use solid boosters, as many as possible. Some of my ships use 18 solid boosters and 1 of the huge liquid fuel thrusters. Yes, that's how much raw power.

Then, once you get to 10 KM start turning. This is called the gravity turn and if you do so at around 10 KM you'll benefit from it. Do avoid doing so if you're still on the raw power phase. If you have lots of solid boosters burnin', it's not a good idea to turn your ship.

Finally, you'll want to stay above 75 KM. That's the edge of the atmosphere, and unless you REALLY want to get back to kerbal you're better off staying above that level.

Orbiting Kerbol is easy. All you need to do is get to an escape trajectory from Kerbin. So once you're in orbit, just keep accelerating until your trajectory takes you out of Kerbin's SOI. Any rocket that get you to the Mun should be able to do the trick.

Now, what I assume you want to do, is to orbit Kerbol at a closer distance than Kerbin, which means that once you are orbiting Kerbol in the vicinity of Kerbin's orbit, you simply need to lower your orbit to go closer to Kerbol by decelerating. This can take a lot of Delta-V and time.

And the return trip will be tricky ;)

I found that a 7-engine launcher with 2 tanks each, and another 2-tank plus a smaller engine can take you to Kerbol orbit without any trouble (except the Kraken). I'm talking about the new, bigger parts here. The smaller engine is really, really lacking in thrust, though, so it takes a while to do your burns.

KSP has a kraken?