Returning player, got a couple questions

Louella

Hello there !

I've returned to KSP after a couple years away, things look interesting, looking to try out the new features that have been introduced since the last time I played.

Few questions about things:

1. Are there any official plans to put more landmarks on Kerbin ? Like, a handful of cities or something to show Kerbin is inhabited ?

2. Are there any official plans to allow you to build habitable outposts on the different moons and planets ?

Welcome back!

4 minutes ago, Louella said:

1. Are there any official plans to put more landmarks on Kerbin ? Like, a handful of cities or something to show Kerbin is inhabited ?

As far as I know, no. It seems that Squad is quite pleased with the core game and doesn't seem to plan to add many features to it any more. There is a DLC coming out eventually but beyond that, we currently have no idea what they have planned beyond that.

4 minutes ago, Louella said:

2. Are there any official plans to allow you to build habitable outposts on the different moons and planets ?

What makes you think you can't already do that? A "habitable outpost" sounds like a space station with legs.

Edited by Three_Pounds

Just now, Three_Pounds said:

What makes you think you can't already do that? A "habitable outpost" sounds like a space station with legs.

Well, I was thinking something more along the lines of classic sci-fi domes and such. Greenhouses, mineral refineries, and things of that nature, with a permanent population. 

Just now, Louella said:

Well, I was thinking something more along the lines of classic sci-fi domes and such. Greenhouses, mineral refineries, and things of that nature, with a permanent population. 

I've seen people build dome structures out of the inflatable heat shields before. They are quite large and have a suitable colour and shape - but you're right: there aren't any dedicated parts in the stock game. Greenhouses also aren't implemented mainly because they wouldn't serve any purpose as there isn't a requirement for life support and associated resources currently in the game. Refineries, and drills for that matter, do exist in the form of the ISRU. Permanent populations are a thing - especially on Eve I heard. :wink:

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for interesting mods. I remember one, that I've already tracked down, which had sounding rockets as a thing to do some early launches with.

First stage is exploration - landing on things and measuring them
second is exploitation - landing on things and using them to do stuff
third, is colonisation - landing on things and living on them. heh. :)

3 minutes ago, Louella said:

Ooo, I remembered a question I was going to ask...

The CommNet stations, are they actual ingame buildings ?

Yes they are and they are pretty easy to find. Just fly around with an aircraft and see where the CommNet paths meet Kerbin's surface. Since there aren't many static objects on Kerbin they are pretty easy to spot.

EDIT: I see you've found the fantastic USI mods. They should really be your cup of tea.

Edited by Three_Pounds

On 9/17/2017 at 10:16 AM, Louella said:

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for interesting mods. I remember one, that I've already tracked down, which had sounding rockets as a thing to do some early launches with.

First stage is exploration - landing on things and measuring them
second is exploitation - landing on things and using them to do stuff
third, is colonisation - landing on things and living on them. heh. :)

That is pretty much what I am doing lately.

I send out a polar orbital probe to map resources.

Next I land an unmanned rover to scout out a good landing site.

I should probably be more circumspect, but I usually will send a manned lander next and use the scouting rover to explore the area. 

Once a good spot has been found, I know I will need fuel for any manned mission so I send two miners, one for liquid fuel and oxidizer and a small one for monopropellant. I use the KIS/KAS mod so my kerbonauts have the tools they will need to transfer fuel.

With that in place I launch the space station, which is really just a big fuel tank with a hitchhiker can - and of course dock ports.

Because my miners will not be exactly where I would have wanted them, I send a tanker rover with a rocket fuel tank and a smaller monopropellant tank. The idea is that the tanker drives out to the miners. The Kerbals on the surface attach the miner to the tanker rover and than drive it back to the lander to refuel it so it can get back up to the space station.

Now you are ready to start a colony. I use the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems mod because it has cool things like greenhouses, believable habitat units and lots of container and energy options.

I am skipping a lot of stuff like the communication network, and support infrastructure. I need a Kerbin space station to host my deep space shuttle to get Kerbals back and forth from the remote location, and a way to get them back to the surface, I have still been using a MK1-2 with parachutes, but i should probably develop a space plane to shuttle Kerbals from the surface to space station and back again.

*You can cheat. You can build a really big base with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems in the Spaceplane Hangar, and use the Hyper Edit mod to just place it on a planet or moon. Not that I would ever do that, but if you did, it might look something like this:

37336892925_2569c83ef9_o.jpg

You could have four greenhouses with eight habitat units to house 32 Kerbins, designed so that you do not have to walk through someone else personal space. There could be two science labs and a garage for rovers on the left. Maybe two miners, one to provide oxygen to the station and the other to provide ore for the centrifuge to fuel the nuclear reactor on the right.