[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Sorry if this seems stupid, but I'm a little confused, I was watching the livestream on Friday and I couldn't tell are we actually getting a Kurt Kerman in .17 or was that a joke I couldn't tell.

it was a mod made for Kurt and the only thing that is being added is the name.

I hope Squad doesn't start getting requests for names...

Minecraft user Miclee made up the idea for Pigmen. He was given the Bacon Cape as a reward, but when Notch was asked for personal capes by other users, the Bacon Cape was taken away from Miclee to prevent further commotion.

I hope Squad doesn't start getting requests for names...

I hope too, but I would still like to see the name of the 12 fellows that walk on the moon to be added to the name bank. The names a generic enough to be subtle, and Neil is already present.

Okay, because nobody can seem to get it 100% right...

In this update:

Lava Planet

Eve

-Tiny captured asteroid moon

Kerbin

-Mun

-Minmus

Desert Planet

-Large moon

Gas Planet 1

-Ocean moon

-Ice moon

-Rocky moon

-Bop, small rocky moon

In future updates:

Asteroid belt

Gas Planet 2

-Rings

-Ringed moon

Gas Planet 3

-?

Tiny Ice Planet

-Tiny Ice Moon

Gas Planet 4

-?

If it was a guess why would he correct someone for putting the desert planet after kerbin.

Because he makes mistakes just like any other human does, as the list Nova posted shows. :P

Kerbin third, the desert planet fourth.

Bop, I love that name.

In this update:

Lava Planet

Eve

Kerbin

-Mun

-Minmus

Desert Planet

-Large moon

Gas Planet 1

-Ocean moon

-Ice moon

-Rocky moon

-Bop, small rocky moon

In future updates:

Asteroid belt

Gas Planet 2

-Rings

-Ringed moon

Gas Planet 3

-?

Tiny Ice Planet

-Tiny Ice Moon

Gas Planet 4

-?

One mystery solved.. Now the easy part, making rockets that go to the planets, if possible even back..

Keep up the good work guys.. But please hurry.. :P

Awesome Nova! I can't wait to explore this solar system. Without even adding features, expending the solar system will give us incredible challenges to explore all those celestial bodies.

An asteroid belt and a ringed planet (plus a ringed moon!) will make the system much more complete. Is there a known way to implement those in Unity, or some R&D is needed?

Another question: is there a plan to have a gas planet with dozens of moons, like Jupiter, or will it be limited to the 4 already planned?

Im not even done playing on the Mun so all those added places will be great.

I am also glad that you have decided to break it up into multiple updates. Giving only 2-3 new planets per patch should space out a lot of the content and help get things into the game faster.

Edited by Master

I'm also curious about the appearance of the sun from the different celestial bodies in the Kerbal System. According to the Wiki, the diameter of Kerbol is somewhere between 120000 and 130000 km. Seen from a orbital distance of 1,2 miljoen km, the sun would appear roughly as big as Kerbin appears from the surface of the Mun. From Kerbin, the sun would have seemingly the same size as Kerbin seen from 120000-130000 km. That's small, but a shiny sprite handles this minor problem effectively ... !

Edited by Bekiekutmoar
Removing invasive green faces

Considering the addition of the lava planet (is Charr the official name? Nova's most recent post would seem to indicate not-so, since he didn't use it), I presume that liquid properties will be coming eventually, though what, if any, would be implemented for 0.17? (Regarding Eve/Lava-planet/Kerbin/Ocean-moon, though the last two just have water I think)

just a thought, how would a planet with a ringed moon work? wouldn't the moon's rings be eventually pulled away by the gravity of the planet?

In real life? It would be very short lived. In KSP, it can be said that it's a recent event as the game wouldn't be going on long enough for the rings to fall apart.

Actually, there is an interesting discussion here at the end about the timescales (even if the ring's didn't exist (which the Cassini observations suggest, though the evidence only supports that no dust-particulate rings exist; not rings formed of fewer but large objects), if the moon were far enough out, it could sustain ring material) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Rhea

(this was with regards to Nova's post)

Another question: is there a plan to have a gas planet with dozens of moons, like Jupiter, or will it be limited to the 4 already planned?

Most Jupiter/saturn moons are small asteroids orbiting around so, they could be (maybe) added after asteroids belts comes out.

And remember: please don't ask about update ETA, development speed, et cetera - this talk is futile (Anyway, is worth waiting, if you want good quality product) and only increase tension inside community. So stay calm and carry on :wink:

EDIT1: It was general announcement, I'm not pointing for anyone :).

Edited by karolus10

In this update:

Lava Planet

Eve

Kerbin

-Mun

-Minmus

Desert Planet

-Large moon

Gas Planet 1

-Ocean moon

-Ice moon

-Rocky moon

-Bop, small rocky moon

In future updates:

Asteroid belt

Gas Planet 2

-Rings

-Ringed moon

Gas Planet 3

-?

Tiny Ice Planet

-Tiny Ice Moon

Gas Planet 4

-?

Now thats what I call a solar system, the ringed moon seems like a really awesome place

also I have no idea how to spoiler stuff on this new forums :/

Edited by Pleborian
remove spoiler tags

If all that's in this new update is more planets, I'm a bit disappointed. I would have liked to have seen an update to the parts or new features. New places to go are always nice, but it's a bit annoying to get to them when the only option is to brute force it with ungainly, giant rockets and a lack of parts.

If all that's in this new update is more planets, I'm a bit disappointed. I would have liked to have seen an update to the parts or new features. New places to go are always nice, but it's a bit annoying to get to them when the only option is to brute force it with ungainly, giant rockets and a lack of parts.
The O.17 Dev Thread said That They Were Going to Add Several New Parts as well.

No-one has said that new parts aren't being added.