ARC: Minimus Rover (Stock / Mods) [Very Hard]

GqO97.png

Hello and welcome to the second mission of the brand new ARC company! If you wish to play the first mission, click the company logo in my signature!

Info: ARC (Aerospace and Rocket Corporation) is a company aimed at research and development for Kerbal kind.

Backround:

Alright, since a few employees where able to complete the previous mission, it's time we move onto our next objective. Rovers. Minmus has been an a planet most people have previously landed on. Sure it's fun to show off to the world that we can land on Minmus, but we need more data than just the dust that's beneath your lander! What better way to do this than to build a rover to explore the surface!

This mission can be played with or without the allowed mods.

* = Post Image

Stock Instructions:

1:] Develop a stock only rover that can land on the surface of Minmus.

2:] Develop a rocket to land the rover on Minmus vertically (Or horizontally if your rover works that way)

3*:] Launch the rocket and intercept with Minmus

4*:] Land on Minmus and deploy the Rover

5*:] Explore the lands of Minmus and record data

Bonus*: Launch another rocket to retrieve the command module or launch the rover and return it to safety

Awards are below

WARNING: Backup the persistent file before installing any mods!

Mods Allowed:

Mech Jeb

Any rover orientated mods

Mods Required

NONE

Mod Instructions:

1:] Develop a stock only rover that can land on the surface of Minmus.

2:] Develop a rocket to land the rover on Minmus vertically (Or horizontally if your rover works that way)

3*:] Launch the rocket and intercept with Minmus

4*:] Land on Minmus and deploy the Rover

5*:] Explore the lands of Minmus and record data

Bonus*: Launch another rocket to retrieve the command module or launch the rover and return it to safety

Awards are below

Awards:

(In order of first to last)

Head ARC Rocket Scientist = Minit [be the first person to land a rover on Minmus using stock parts only AND return the crew back to Kerbin]

Master ARC Rocket Scientist = Fisherdog3 [be the first person to land a rover on Minmus using stock parts only]

Average ARC Rocket Scientist = Not Claimed [be the first person to land a rover on Minmus using mods AND return the crew back to Kerbin]

Apprentice ARC Rocket Scientist = Not Claimed [be the first person to land a rover and Minmus using mods]

Biggest Failure Award = martscht [Have the most convincing failure of them all (Always Subject To Change)]

Edited by BustedEarLobes
Updating Awards

I'd like to say, mission accomplished.

Here's an imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/SuTkA

The rover can reach speeds of 200m/s on the ground. And faster than that, and you reach orbit, which is how you retreat to Kerbin.

I call it the spaceplane method.

Cool, huh?

~MINIT

Congratulations for earning the Head ARC Rocket Scientist!

Actually I've done this dozens of times with the Mun and Minimus, because this was my way of determining exact artefact positions (yeah, yeah, I found ISA MapSat...). But here's my entry I guess:

screenshot23.png

Take-Off.

screenshot26.png

Finding a nice landing spot.

screenshot28.png

Landed.

screenshot30.png

Heading home.

screenshot31.png

Upon re-entry I realised I'd forgotten to pack a 'chute...

screenshot32.png

...and disaster ensued.

I use MechJeb for two reasons here: When landing I like knowing my exact distance to the ground (though on Minimus landings that's pretty much irrelevant) and I have this unnatural aversion against risking Kerbonauts' lives when I haven't planned a mission properly (the missing parachute should make it pretty obvious that this was also the case here)...

screenshot31.png

Upon re-entry I realised I'd forgotten to pack a 'chute...

screenshot32.png

...and disaster ensued.

I use MechJeb for two reasons here: When landing I like knowing my exact distance to the ground (though on Minimus landings that's pretty much irrelevant) and I have this unnatural aversion against risking Kerbonauts' lives when I haven't planned a mission properly (the missing parachute should make it pretty obvious that this was also the case here)...

Well, I can't place you in the stock awards as they have already been taken. I can, however, put you under the most convincing failure award for forgetting to put on a parachute! :D

Keep in mind though that the most convincing failure award is always subject to change...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.