Is there a programmable autopilot?

I would like to know if there is a way to program an autopilot for rockets in KSP?

I know about mechjeb, but what I'm looking for is a way to write actual code to control the rocket (i.e. have your rocket automatically drop stages, change throttle, change heading, activate SAS, activate RCS, etc depending on speed, heading, pitch and altitude.).

Something that can interpret code such as

if alt=10 000: #this bit of code says that if the rocket reaches an altitude of 10 000 it should set throttle to 50%

set throttle to 50

In case there does not exist a feature like this, I feel it should be implemented into the base game (maybe add a navcomputer or a programmable SAS part that reads an editable code file in the KSP folder?) just because it will be really useful.

autom8 looks interesting, but what I was looking for is something a bit simpler than that

Well, nothing stopping me to try create it!

*Update* I think I found the solution for my own problem, this module tutorial - http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Module_Tips_and_Tricks

I'll mess around with that a bit and see if I can come up with anything

Edited by ExtraPlanetal

I'd be very interested in this. I'd love some way to put some consistency into my flights without having to go all the way to Mechjeb, which looks like it makes things far too easy.