Nerv-based VTOL mining ship - fly anywhere with just the ship!

vasimv

After few days experimenting with mining spaceplanes, i've found this is not really suits my needs. 200t+ spaceplane with VTOL engines blocks that able to carry convert-o-tron 250 and few Nerv engines is too bulky and have not really good delta-v (so, requires refuelling at orbit with other ships often) with very slow acceleration rate and quite hard to operate. So, i've decided to switch to copter-style ships. Build simple one with 16x nerv engines (in 8x blocks with two engines), 28t Mk3 liquid tank, 14.57 Mk3-2.5m adapter with LF+OX, 4.57t Mk3 monopropellant tank, some Mk1 LF tanks, two large drills (one at top - for asteroids mining and one at bottom - for planets harvesting) 2700 ore capacity (had few contracts for mining and hauling ore around), RCS, grab unit, Sr docking port and full set of scientific stuff with 3 kerbals crew capacity (one engineer and two scientists in mobile lab). Also features many lamps to mine at dark places (well, wasn't really good idea as it kills my videocard at places like Duna when turned on, i guess because it tries to calculate atmosphere's light paths).

The ship is quite self-sufficient, 5000+ delta-v with quite good push (so, less boring time while accelerating), able to land and take off Duna and smaller bodies, has ability to refuel other small ships on orbits. Because large ore tanks - it is able to get large bonus delta-v (about 20%, so it will have 6000+ dv!) as you can start from small bodies full of ore and convert it is to the fuel after taking off and finishing first maneuvers. Cost is about 1 million (with first two stages to get on orbit, could save a bit if have used vtol-landing stage but was a bit lazy to build such large pusher). Contains only stock stuff, except mechjeb (can be removed, of course).

Launched the ship to 200km orbit, headed to Minmus to complete "get ore from Minmus to Kerbin's orbit" contract, flew to the Ike and brought 2700 ore to the Duna's surface (had 1.7mil contract on this), made atmosphere fly with copter-style flying to get closer to old Duna base, picked experienced crew there and went back to Ike (to finish "make EVA on Ike's orbit).

At launch pad

QrwIDBv.png

To 200km orbit

u5Dh0pF.png

Final separation at orbit

A330E2g.png

Heading to the Minmus

ODzlwds.png

Landing at Ike

IKVGkZc.png

Mining at Ike

mWqS5K6.png

Hauling ore to Duna

OpI3Z3L.png

Landing at Duna

ZKR9No8.png

Picking up crew at Duna

aJpJLZ5.png

Ugh, forgot to install ladders... Well, EVA jetpacks were enough...

TSyUJF1.png

...But a bit tricky :) 

IZDTVCh.png

Taking off from Duna

Q4UZgtG.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.