How use FRAPs

You almost will always need a lot of disk space for the original raw recording. You can reduce it somewhat by setting the game to a lower screen resolution, but in the end, you really need a lot of space to record anything of significant length.

Now the final product can be made much smaller with editing, compression, and downsizing.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

You almost will always need a lot of disk space for the original raw recording. You can reduce it somewhat by setting the game to a lower screen resolution' date=' but in the end, you really need a lot of space to record anything of significant length.

Now the final product can be made much smaller with editing, compression, and downsizing.

Cheers!

[b']Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I wonder how much it should take a file containing, hour from game.

Can you recommend me a better program for recording, with better compression

It's not a matter of a better program though better compression might work. If you are planning on editing together a video it's best to record as much and as big as you can. You reduce after editing in order to obtain the best quality.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

It's not a matter of a better program though better compression might work. If you are planning on editing together a video it's best to record as much and as big as you can. You reduce after editing in order to obtain the best quality.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

But how much space you can take record the entire flight, now I have 11.7 GB of free space, is it enough?

But how much space you can take record the entire flight, now I have 11.7 GB of free space, is it enough?

Unfortunately, that is nowhere near enough disk space for Fraps. Fraps does not compress the file as it records, so a 1 Minute fullscreen (1680x1050) capture at 30fps gives you a .avi file just over 1gb.

You might want to look at something like Bandicam that compresses as it records.

An hour of my FRAPSed video takes up about 120GB. Of course, I'm recording at 1920x1080 at 60fps.

After a video is cut up and been through post, I can compress them down to about 500mb for 15minutes, or roughly 1GB for 30minutes. That is with 1080p quality, though. It would be significantly less if I only worked in 720p.

My uncompressed video folder has over 400 GB of video in it right now; I'm hoarding some old clips until I finish making some new videos out of it.

xSplit also compresses while it records, since it is primarily made for live streaming. However, the drawback to compressing in real-time is it takes a lot more CPU power than recording uncompressed. And even recording uncompressed is going to drop your in-game frame rates by a bunch.

Just a quick question. Do you get significantly better performance of PC when recording on external HDD?

I don't imagine so. You might get better performance recording onto a SSD.

Most of your performance is going to be based on your CPU.

I made a quick splash video. :)

Maybe I'll use it for any Lets Plays I do.