NSI Space Station

Hi all!

I present my first space station design.

At the launch pad:

20d34adf.png

238ccc81.png

Liftoff:

84ff20dc.png

7e48e7dc.png

The Main lifter engines might look irregular, but I spent a lot of time stabilizing them and now the entire contraption is incredibly stable on liftoff. As you can see, no winglets are required at all and even without SAS the ship stays almost perfectly vertical by itself. Until it starts rotating around it's vertical axis by the time it leaves the densest part of the atmosphere. At that point you may want to engage the SAS.

Stage separation:

accfda15.png

Out in space:

582130bd.png

5bc827ad.png

Some orbital EVA action:

cc845b29.png

8ad1ddfe.png

CRAFT File:

[ATTACH]31442[/ATTACH]

Edited by Szkeptik

Thanks for the feedback.

It doesn't actually SIT on the pad, I'm holding it up with the red stabilizer thingies. I don't know their names.

It has some ladders as you can see on the last picture. I thought about adding more, but it didn't look good so I scrapped that idea.

The main idea on getting it into space is that the entire vehicle along with the boosters starts spinning around it's axis because of the not perfectly vertical position of the main booster engines. Most of the shearing drag gets nullified by the outward motion as a single force rather than yanking the craft every which way like you can see with most ships on liftoff. Because of this it can handle more acceleration as well and doesn't break apart below a 8-9 G acceleration (usually :huh: ).

Edited by Szkeptik

Why don't you put struts on the boosters to make them look pretty?

I'm not sure how adding more struts would make it pretty. The boosters are like this for a reason. With horizontal boosters the station would fall apart at ~4 G acceleration. This way it can handle 8 G reliably.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.