Re-entry RSS/RO: random (?) explosions

Capsaicin

Hey guys,

I have to admit I'm quite new to RO and RSS.

I'm currently trying to reenter simple craft from LEO and having some troubles with it.

I tried PE'S around 55-80km (AP around 250km), but I always explode at the end of reentry. What troubles me is the fact,

that the craft explodes pretty late, after the reentry heat effects and ablator usage is down again. At this state most of the velocity reduction is already done.

I end up thinking it was a succesfull re-entry and the suddenly the craft explodes. Sometimes for heating and sometimes because of g-forces.

One time it happened at 12 kms altitude and 140 m/s velocity (I was just waiting for the parachute to open). The log said MK1 exploded because of g-forces, but how can that happen if the craft is traveling at 140m/s?

Actually agressive re-entrys with EP's of around 35-45 km seem to work better than softer ones around 70 km. Although I experience very high g-forces here (around 13g's), the craft doesn't explode.

As the craft itself is quite simple (just an MK1 pod with an MK16 parachute on top) I don't think the problems is a wrong design. MK1 description sais it has an integrated LEO-heatshield, and I activated "descent mode".

Is this some kind of a bug or am I missing something essential here?

(For my general understanding: reentering at lower EPs (and therefore steeper angles) will increases g-loads and maximum heating. Reentering at higher EPs (and therefore shallower angles) will reduce maximum temperatures and g-loads by extending the atmospheric breaking and bleeding off the orbital velocity slower.) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.