How to make a KV capsule low drag

Foxster

rRkF3Sg.png

That's it really. The bounds of a FL-A150 adapter (a FL-A151S works too), a KV capsule and a size 1.5 tank all match. This means you can reduce the drag of a KV capsule at mach1+ in Kerbin's atmosphere from ~200 down to ~10. 

Looks rubbish but it works. You can improve the looks by offsetting the adapter down...

NiJw98o.png

Edited by Foxster

1 minute ago, MR L A said:

Why not just use a fairing? I'm not completely sure what's going on here lol

Because fairings are currently bugged so they have zero drag themselves but the part right beneath them has massive drag, making them pretty useless at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Because fairings are currently bugged so they have zero drag themselves but the part right beneath them has massive drag, making them pretty useless at the moment. 

Really? Hadn't noticed this at all... none of my rockets had been performing noticeably worse than 1.3...  you sure that wasn't fixed in 1.4.2? I heard rumblings that some work had been done on them but the 5M fairing was still screwed.

55 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Nope, not fixed in 1.4.2. 

Try it. Turn on aero data in Alt-F12, launch a craft and check out the drag of the fairing and the part beneath it. 

I'll give it a go as soon as I get the chance :) seems really unusual though!

Honestly, the bugs in this update have been entertaining lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.