Saturn V rocket

I've lost count of how many Saturn V  type rockets that have been shared on KSP, but I figured there is always room for more.  Some have been faithful replicas, complete with ullage motors, others have only had a passing resemblance, either in looks or how they operated.

I'd like to think that this version is somewhere in between.  The recent introduction of 5m tanks mean that it is now possible to build a Saturn V using the 3 man capsule that looks about right, without having to resort to stacking fuel tanks to bulk out the lower stages, or mess around with flat panels to build a Lunar Module adapter.

This version is stock, but does use some parts from the Making History DLC.

Flight Notes :

Turn on SAS, throttle up and stage to launch

satv01.jpg

Keep the gravity turn gentle.  1st stage is good up to around 22000m, at which time you should be around 45 degrees.

satv02.jpg

2nd stage should push your Apo up to around 80km before flaming out.  At this point the escape tower can be jettisoned using Action group key 9

satv03.jpg

Igniting the 3rd stage about 15 secs before reaching Apo should give you a reasonably circular orbit, with plenty of fuel left for the Munar injection burn

satv04.jpg

During transition the adapter can be staged in preparation for extracting the excursion module

satv05.jpg

Action group key 6 detaches the CSM, allowing you to turn through 180 degrees to make the extraction. Whilst detached, stage to activate the CSM engine

satv06.jpg

Reattaching screws up the staging, which is why it's important to stage the CSM engine while the craft are separated.  Once reconnected, stage to jettison the 3rd stage.

satv07.jpg

Circularising for a Mun orbit should leave plenty of fuel for the return trip.  The excursion crew can be transferred between vehicles once in orbit.

satv08.jpg

Action group key 6 once again separates the two vehicles.

satv09.jpg

The descent stage has plenty of fuel for a landing.  Once down, action group key 4 will extend the ladder.

satv10.jpg

Preparing to leave, use action group key 8 to shut down the lander engine, and then throttle up ready for departure.

satv11.jpg

At the appropriate time, staging will fire the ascent engine and separate the ascent module.

satv12.jpg

The ascent module has enough fuel to make a 30km orbital rendezvous, but not an abundance of surplus fuel if your ascent and rendezvous is inefficient.  Be careful.

satv13.jpg

Having ditched the ascent module (AG key 6) and made the return burn, there should be enough fuel left to make a parking orbit.  Not very Apollo, but helps with picking a landing spot.

satv14.jpg

Well we could have been closer, but at least we'll be home in time for tea.

satv15.jpg

Action group keys :

4: Toggle lander ladder

6: Undock Munar module

9: Jettison escape tower

0: Pop chutes after an Abort

Abort: Activate escape tower in the event of a catastrophe

Craft can be downloaded from KerbalX  https://kerbalx.com/Scarecrow88/Saturn-V

Edited by Scarecrow

On 6/9/2018 at 6:16 AM, Scarecrow said:

To be honest the only part that really needs skill is the rendezvous and docking.  If you've already landed on Mun, this is no more difficult apart from the docking bit.

I don't think docking is hard. In fact, I did my first one in a few minutes. I don't know why, but to me docking is a piece of cake. 

Once you understand the mechanics of the whole docking process, then I agree that it is indeed a piece of cake, but it can take a few attempts for a lot of people to fully understand what is going on, and what is required to be successful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.