[.16 STOCK] Titan I - Solo medium lifter/lander

prozach

I finally got around to updating my .15 designs to .16.

3s21f.png

This is a slightly modified version of the ship I used to complete the orbital rendezvous challenge on the ksp subreddit.

Its all 1 meter parts, single pilot capsule and with sas is practically a hands off launch.

Very stable, a little jiggling at full throttle but nothing catastrophic.

With some skill it can put you into stable circular orbit with 75% of the fuel in the second stage left.

Will easily reach the Mun, have not attempted Minimus yet.....being an adult gets in the way of playing (sigh)

Imgur Album

.craft file

Thanks!

My personal preference is I usually begin my turn around 20k.

Turn to about 45 degrees then hold for another 20k and then flat out to 0

I'm no orbital wizard so I have no idea if this is ideal or not.

I just prefer a smooth curve to orbit rather than the straight up, turn and burn approach.

I find that the easy turn tends to waste less fuel converting from a ballistic to orbital trajectory.

I really wish there was a 2meter tricoupler. I want to see how scalable this design is.

I had a version with a fourth stage which was similar to the third.

Thanks!

My personal preference is I usually begin my turn around 20k.

Turn to about 45 degrees then hold for another 20k and then flat out to 0

I'm no orbital wizard so I have no idea if this is ideal or not.

I just prefer a smooth curve to orbit rather than the straight up, turn and burn approach.

I find that the easy turn tends to waste less fuel converting from a ballistic to orbital trajectory.

I really wish there was a 2meter tricoupler. I want to see how scalable this design is.

I had a version with a fourth stage which was similar to the third.

Oh, you mean a tri-coupler for the LARGE fuel tanks? Those things are monstrously huge! I don't know about scaling, I haven't really attempted because of the lack of scalable parts. I will opine that it would appear that by the time the zero stage is by itself, having jettisoned all previous lifter engines, it would seem that the AV8 wings would be meaningless in the vacuum of space. That and the noticeable lack of separation for the command pod.

I do have a design similar to this called the Standard Mun Rocket that I got from the Spacecraft Exchange before the forum format changed. I've changed it a little here and there to suit my needs. The lander at the top is rather large for my rocket. I made Jeb really happen by adding the large SRBs to the bottom of the entire rocket, making the entire assembly larger than the launch tower. Your middle stage is actually almost exactly the same.

But since I'm such a newbie at orbital mechanics (when Mun is about 35-40 degrees from orbiting overhead I launch and do a straight shot), I'm asking around for good flight plans and such.

Oh, you mean a tri-coupler for the LARGE fuel tanks? Those things are monstrously huge! I don't know about scaling, I haven't really attempted because of the lack of scalable parts. I will opine that it would appear that by the time the zero stage is by itself, having jettisoned all previous lifter engines, it would seem that the AV8 wings would be meaningless in the vacuum of space. That and the noticeable lack of separation for the command pod.

YEAH it would be INSANELY huge. Part of the reason why I want to try it :)

Yeah the lack of a command module decoupler is an oversight on my part.

I banged this out the other day at work.

While you are correct that the wings shouldn't have an effect out of the atmosphere but they do seem to improve agility in orbit, however I believe this is mostly due to how wings are implemented and that may eventually get fixed.

Outside of that, I think they add some aesthetic value and in the future may be more useful for landing on other bodies that have an atmosphere.

I do appreciate the feedback!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.