Opinions requested on potential job change.

SpaceMouse

Opinions requested on potential new job. 

Please excuse any typos here. I'm on my phone.

So in the unlikely event anyone was wondering what happened with the last job post i did everything has gone well so far. Thier lead local tech is here like once a week and he hasn't said a single word to me in the 10 months or so i've been here. Kinda prefer that actually.

Anyway, i've been at my current job about 8 months now and got a message from a friend of mine around a month ago that i should apply where he works. While the pay at this place is adequate there isn't really any potential to go anywhere. I did a interview at the new place and didn't get THAT particular job but did get a interview last week with a different department in thier building. The job is basically VOIP tech support for Microsoft Ofice 365 products, which based on my interviewers own statement is a fairly hard job. Objectively, this new position would be better in all regards and even sort of has some potential for advancement within the company. I've done some tech support work in the past but, my gut feeling is even with better pay i might not last long there. I just can't decide if it would be stupider to pass on a objectively better job. Better benefits and office too.

Sorry, i know this quick post is probably lacking in details but, i wanted to get posted and not floating around my head. I'd like some opinions.

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

How much experience are they asking for? And what kind?

Apparently, I had enough to get the interview. I've been out of the IT loop for a while, that's kind of another reason I'm apprehensive.

10 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

The job is basically VOIP tech support for Microsoft Ofice 365 products

As an IT professional of 20+ years experience, there isn't enough money printed in the history of the world to make me take that job. You're a much better man than I am (thicker skin and a hell of a lot more patience for the abject stupidity that any "tech support" job comes with) for even considering it. :)

To answer your actual question with my 2 cents worth of opinion, it really depends on where you are at in your career and what you want out of it. If you're young or fairly early into your career, jumping around from job to job is ok if you're trying to get a leg up or move into something more aligned with what you really want to do. However, after a while, it does start to look bad on your resume to be at one place for a year, another for 15 months, etc. It sounds like this would be your third job change in 2-3 years, so you're starting to get into that territory where employers are going to question if you can stick around anywhere for a reasonable amount of time. In the IT world, especially, it can take as long as 2 years to fully bring someone up to speed, so if you're jumping around a lot, you may find it harder to get interviews next time because few employers are going to want to hire someone who is just going to bounce before they even get fully integrated into the company.

Also, keep in mind that unless there are written promises of advancement, everything your interviewer tells you about that is BS. So, if you take that job on the hopes or impression that you're going to have a chance for advancement, you better get it in writing or you better really want to do VOIP tech support for Office 360. You may end up stuck doing that for longer than you anticipated.

Good luck.

44 minutes ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

As an IT professional of 20+ years experience, there isn't enough money printed in the history of the world to make me take that job. You're a much better man than I am (thicker skin and a hell of a lot more patience for the abject stupidity that any "tech support" job comes with) for even considering it. :)

To answer your actual question with my 2 cents worth of opinion, it really depends on where you are at in your career and what you want out of it. If you're young or fairly early into your career, jumping around from job to job is ok if you're trying to get a leg up or move into something more aligned with what you really want to do. However, after a while, it does start to look bad on your resume to be at one place for a year, another for 15 months, etc. It sounds like this would be your third job change in 2-3 years, so you're starting to get into that territory where employers are going to question if you can stick around anywhere for a reasonable amount of time. In the IT world, especially, it can take as long as 2 years to fully bring someone up to speed, so if you're jumping around a lot, you may find it harder to get interviews next time because few employers are going to want to hire someone who is just going to bounce before they even get fully integrated into the company.

Also, keep in mind that unless there are written promises of advancement, everything your interviewer tells you about that is BS. So, if you take that job on the hopes or impression that you're going to have a chance for advancement, you better get it in writing or you better really want to do VOIP tech support for Office 360. You may end up stuck doing that for longer than you anticipated.

Good luck.

Thanks for being the first person to not just say more money = better job. I think it's a few things in the interview he said that caught me a bit off guard, he himself called it a hard job with long days. Most interviewers tend to cast the job in a positive light. I have a bit of experience at this from my days of VZW phone service but boy oh boy am I out of practice.

I've had a bit less than stellar job history in the last year or so, but the last major job I left I was at for 5 years and left on good terms. It would actually be more although a couple aren't on there for obvious reasons. I'm gonna have to on the spot decide if the pay rate is worth the hassle. Boy do I hate on the spot decisions. :/

Edited by SpaceMouse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.