Jedi Starfighter complete with hyperring able to reach minmus before decouple, no mod

My favorite creation so far.

starfighter.png

In response to comments:

It actually goes all the way to minmus on just the hyperring. That's minmus in the screenshot. I found that if you run minimal thrust in thick atmosphere instead of trying to gun it, you get much greater efficiency. On top of that, it saves a lot of fuel to properly slingshot kerbal. What you see is all I started with on the ground. The tanks of the actual starfighter are full at this point.

Thanks a lot for the nice comments. I spose I'll post the craft file >.<

Give credit :) - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2FfRwgHBYfIYlRnb1NkMnZUaXM (It's on google documents.)

Have fun. If you fly it properly you can get a nice smooth tilt into slingshot at typical elevations for doing so. Remember run low to mid thrust until you get above the thick atmosphere. Let me know if you have questions.

I stream on twitch under milint33w fairly often. Feel free to come watch!

Edited by milint33w

milint33w, since you have less than 5 posts, your posts have to be approved by moderators (this is to fight spam).

Also, I know you couldn't in this particular case, but in the future, please edit your posts instead of posting 3 of them in a row within a few minutes of each other.

I removed the last 2 posts, so please be aware of this for your next posts ;)

It actually goes all the way to minmus on just the hyperring. Thats minmus in the screenshot. I found that if you run minimal thrust in thick atmosphere instead of trying to gun it, you get much greater efficiency. On top of that, it saves a lot of fuel to properly slingshot kerbal. What you see is all I started with on the ground.

Sorry to break it to you, but that's using a well known fuel bug which doubly applies the throttle setting. Just thought I'd point that out.

milint33w, since you have less than 5 posts, your posts have to be approved by moderators (this is to fight spam).

Also, I know you couldn't in this particular case, but in the future, please edit your posts instead of posting 3 of them in a row within a few minutes of each other.

I removed the last 2 posts, so please be aware of this for your next posts ;)

Ok well I highly recommend putting a popup note or something when people try to post. The exact and only reason I posted more than once was because I kept thinking something wasnt working. I deleted temp files, reloaded page, tried everything.

Sorry to break it to you, but that's using a well known fuel bug which doubly applies the throttle setting. Just thought I'd point that out.

Actually no. Thats for extremely low throttle. I'm just talking about lower mid throttle, and not spike engines. This is an as intended technique. It makes physical sense as well.

Edited by Cykyrios
merged

Your still wrong, it is a bug, even one notch from max thrust has a massively lower than intended fuel consumption

this is true. examples:

1/2 throttle consumption is halved again

1/4 throttle consumption is quatered again

1/3 throttle cosumption is cut by 3 times again

So instead of using the craft as it is I would use a load of SRB's to get me through the pea soup atmosphere.

then possibly use some drop tanks as well. IDK cool design!

Your still wrong, it is a bug, even one notch from max thrust has a massively lower than intended fuel consumption
this is true. examples:

1/2 throttle consumption is halved again

1/4 throttle consumption is quatered again

1/3 throttle cosumption is cut by 3 times again

So instead of using the craft as it is I would use a load of SRB's to get me through the pea soup atmosphere.

then possibly use some drop tanks as well. IDK cool design!

I guess we will see in .17 :)

saw you make this milint, and pelican, it uses the ring to goto the mun, and then the starfighter to goto minmus from the mun

But how can a couple of fuel tanks get to the mun from Kerbin? Does it have fuel hacks or something? Or does it have, as I HAVE ALREADY SAID, have other stages for getting to orbit?

EDIT: oh, so you use the fuel consumption err... Bug

CHEAT

Edited by AeroPelican

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.