Does Von Braun liked Star Trek?

Pawelk198604

I always admired Von Braun despite his Nazi past,and my country suffered lot from nazi , was a great visionary, contributed to landing a man on the moon. I wonder what was his view on science fiction, especially on Star Trek which which was created at the same time in which he was working on a program Apolllo, besides Star Trek was created by another visionary, Gene Roddenberry, however, in comparison with him von Braun was a more realistic

Well, Von Braun had a plan for a manned space station with a fleet of Moon-return vehicles that could have been built by now if the microprocessor hadn't been invented when it was.

So I'm sure he liked sci-fi.

What do you mean it could have been built by now if the microproccessor hadn't been invented? Surely that would have benefitted such a project?

His idea was based on the fact that the space station would be manned. When microprocessors were invented, computers could be made small enough to do the space station's job in a satellite, and with very little maintainance.

Because no massive space station, no platform to launch bigger moon missions from. Because no space station, we got stuck with shuttles that didn't pay for themselves and rocket's that don't tend to go past geostationary orbit unless they are carrying something special.

You might want to check out The Mars Project, a science vision by Wernher von Braun himself. It is of course a bit dated, having been first published in the late 1940s, but it's more science than fiction, well except the Martians, whose existence was still widely considered likely at the time.

Oh and btw. "von Braun" is pronounced as "fon Brown", not as "one Brawn". Just for you NASA types out there (and whoever else didn't know)... ;)

Sorry for OT

His idea was based on the fact that the space station would be manned. When microprocessors were invented, computers could be made small enough to do the space station's job in a satellite, and with very little maintainance.

Which I guess is why we (humans) are flying a space station now and have been doing so almost continuously for the last what... thirty? fourty? years? It's much more budget issues that keep humanity from expanding beyond LEO than too advanced technology.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.