Flight Data UI

Steve Fink

I am fairly new to KSP, and visit Scott Manley's youTube channel for fun and tips. http://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg

If you look at his clips, you will see some UI windows that show flight data, not just of velocity apo/peri, but weight of the vehicle (even as it burns fuel and is lightening it load!) and more.

I have looked all over for maybe a setting in KSP or a mod to show this. What is it and where do I find it?

P.S. I already asked Scott on his comments section, and no reply.

Edited by Steve Fink

While I agree mechjeb adds a lot, I have seen a lot of posts lately where people have no idea whatsoever how to fly or do orbital maneuvers. It is much more fun and satisfying to get it right yourself, and there are excellent tutorials available (especially the orbial mechanics 101 tutorial here http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15652-Orbital-Mechanics-101-A-Kerbal-Space-Program-Tutorial)

I love all the information, but giving everybody an autopilot right off the bat takes a lot of the catastrophic fun out of learning to fly.

Just my two cents.

Agreed. I only use mechjeb for pointing. Maintaining prograde and retrograde on my own is simple enough, but trying to get orbit normals (for inclination changes) or relative velocity vectors (for rendezvous) is nearly impossible to do seat of the pants with any kind of precision. I do avoid the launch and landing autopilots, though. What's the point of having KSP if you're not going to do the piloting? :)

Agreed, the same thought came to mind when I wrote the post. Understanding the challenges of getting a rocket into orbit, de-orbit etc. makes you appreciate and understand mechjeb more so once you learn the ropes. Giving a newbie mechjeb would likely dissuade some from playing.

Maybe one day when the money feature is operational, mechjeb would be something you could buy with your kerbal dollars as an acheivment.

Agreed, the same thought came to mind when I wrote the post. Understanding the challenges of getting a rocket into orbit, de-orbit etc. makes you appreciate and understand mechjeb more so once you learn the ropes. Giving a newbie mechjeb would likely dissuade some from playing.

Maybe one day when the money feature is operational, mechjeb would be something you could buy with your kerbal dollars as an acheivment.

I would have thought it was the opposite- newbies who can't figure out how to fly might just give up instead of persisting. The kind of person who enjoys the challenge of figuring out how to do it manually is the same kind of person who, if given mechjeb from the start, would decide they wanted to learn how to fly manually.

That being said, the idea of earning mechjeb is a fantastic one...maybe after a couple of initial flights e.g. after attaining orbit for the first time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.