Crossrange... what???

So I am trying to create some kind of shuttle, and one thing I read about is crossrange.

Now, by dictionary, it is "distance to a landing site that it can fly to either side of its original entry flight path". But what does that actually means in terms of shuttle orbiter?

And also, someone say this of shuttle landing:

The shuttles angle of attack (something I really miss in KSP!) was swerved from a -50 to a 50 degree bank roll. This allowed the shuttle to create more crossrange thus araving safely at the landing site.

Not sure what that person mean. Can someone explain it too?

I found a really nice post about this topic:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/21981/how-does-the-space-shuttle-slow-down-during-re-entry-descent-and-landing/23889

Down at the "S-turn" headline, you will find 2 pictures to describe the bank roll (I have honestly no clue why it is called a bank roll...I would call it just a "roll" but I'm not a native english speaker^^) and the crossrange :)

If you launch into non-equatorial orbit from KSC, KSC won't longer be right under your orbital path because the planet spins under you. Crossrange is capability to steer the spacecraft back to the launch zone. 

When I launch to polar orbit for from KSC I usually return to Dessert runway as it's closer after an orbit or two than KSC

Edited by dodike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.