Physwarp, Time Warp and mining?

Guys,

i searched the game help pages pages and the wiki and didn't find what I'm looking for.

can someone fill me in on the differences between physwarp, time warp and how they interrelate.  It looks like I can "turn on" physwarp or select time warp.  I tend to use time warp and then click the R1 button to speed up time (I'm on PS4).

but how does enable physwarp influence this action or does it?  

And, how does all of this relate to mining ore and producing fuel?

it seems like I was able to make a load of fuel for my small mining rig in about 10 days but now I'm trying again in order to send a craft back home and I can't seem to make more that a few drops of fuel in a month?

Timewarp does not work when your craft is under thrust, roving across a surface, or when you are flying in atmosphere, or underwater.

In those cases where timewarp does not work, you can use physwarp instead. Physwarp only goes up to 4x time, and it is dangerous. It exists for people who are desperately impatient to waste their time playing a game, efficiently. The reason it is dangerous is because large craft can become physically unstable and explode. Alternately, craft can sink into the ground and explode.

To mine, your craft has to be at a standstill. So timewarp always works for that.

If you are getting very little output from mining, it might be because you have no engineer on your craft.

The difference between time warp and physics warp is that time warp only simulates the position of your entire craft, and only checks for gravity and intersection with planets. It's very simple to compute, which is why it goes up to 100,000x. Physics warp simulates everything, including intersection with every part with the surface, battery charge, thrust, fuel levels, etc. So it's much more processor intensive, which is why it only goes up to 4x. Even then, it takes shortcuts that can make mistakes and cause things to blow up that wouldn't at 1x.

There's one exception to time warp- mining operations. IF you go on time warp more than 6 hours, it calculates mining. I think it takes some shortcuts on that, but if you stop timewarp before 6 hours, it resets and you don't get any mining results.

Thanks guys, that makes sense now.  I did eventually find some info in the wiki, I searched on physwarp and it doesn't find anything, but I think if you spell out the word physics it does find the entry.

and I think part of my problem was indeed with my crew member.  I had a scientist AND an engineer on Mimnus but during one session I did have the engineer running the drill and most recently he was not, hence the low production.

thanks for the help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.