You're starting to send probes and pilot-free crewed ships to far-away planets, but either your antenna isn't strong enough or you're trapped in a blind spot. Are you sick of losing contact with probes mid-mission, especially when you need it at the very moment the connection's lost? Here's how I solve my problems:

:rep:  ULTIMATE RELAY ANTENNA  :rep:

Each Ultimate is designed for maximum coverage while maximizing delta-V and minimizing production costs at the same time. Each variant is equipped with:

• RTGs
  • Solar panels
    • Different types for different variants
  • 1 x RA-100 relay
  • 4 x RA-15 relay

Originally, the final stage of the relay was ion-powered. However, due to the engines' extremely low thrust and the inadequate solar panel performance past Dres (RTGs weren't much help either), I had to modify the design while, at the same time, maximizing delta-V. I knew the solution lay in the NERV engines, but my attempts to use four NERVs (to increase thrust) all ended up with $300K launch pad disasters. After some experimenting, I managed to find a viable solution. Below are some photos of the variant I will be using from now until further notice - like if it fails to achieve Eeloo orbit or something like that.

• The final stage has 3,216 m/s of delta-V.

nzEYZFm.jpg

• Mk. IVb at the launch pad. It has SRBs to save fuel for the initial ascent of 250 km altitude

D5XtlPS.jpg

• Mk. IVb immediately after launch. Those SRBs really pack a punch

PrWFHqJ.jpg

0VCWHNl.jpg

• And that is why all Ultimate Relay variants have protective shells during the initial ascension. At that speed, the aerodynamic forces (and heat as a result of friction from air resistance) should be enough to cause a catastrophic failure if it hits unprotected crucial areas.

osE3bKv.jpg

• SRBs had just been spent, which happens right before the rocket hits an apoapsis of 250 km.
    • Any lower than that and the SRBs will mess it up - since you can't shut them of.

FQ7BFyz.jpg

• After the parking orbit is established, the rocket should have ~2,050 m/s of delta-V left before it activates the final stage. 

O1u1CbQ.jpg

• A Mk. IV (Mk. IVb has SRBs, but a Mk. IV doesn't) Ultimate 750 km above Moho's surface. Provided I timed my transfer burn correctly, I achieved a stable orbit around Moho with ~900 m/s to spare.

The best part is that the Mk. IVb costs ~$165K while my other variants cost between $225K and $310K. Feel free to use it and leave a review on this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.