Strutless Monstrosities

Struts. We use them constantly when our ships get too large to stand without, but too many causes all sorts of lag that we would rather avoid!

Therefore, I introduce the following challenge.

Design the largest possible functional craft without struts that is able to burn through all of its stages without breaking apart, or losing any parts unintentionally.

I imagine to do this you will have to make a very symmetric craft, and in particular no rotation imbalance will be tolerated (I find that any time rotation starts up, outer stages flex outwards and can break off).

Hopefully by the end of this challenge we will all have a better idea of what situations struts can be left out of, allowing us to have much less lag on launch.

Requirements:

Entries will be separated into modded and unmodded varieties.

Show a screenshot of the ship on the launchpad, and enough screenshots to prove that it did not break up.

Avoid extreme abuse of the fuel bug. I won't require full throttle or anything; you know when you have gone too far.

Mechjeb is fine to find the mass of your craft for either modded or unmodded entries.

Two categories: Maximum strutless delta-V, and maximum strutless takeoff mass. Delta-V is to be measured by a vertical takeoff in the direction of kerbins orbit, with no turnover. Speed at burnout gives your ranking.

Happy building :)

Leader boards:

Stock:

Launchpad Mass:

1) 311.4 ton Bluejayek

2)

3)

Delta-V:

1)

2)

3)

Modded:

Launchpad Mass:

1)

2)

3)

Delta V:

1)

2)

3)

I'll kick it off with a 311.4ton entry. Note that this thing cant be flown on a single burn, at about 40,000m it will start rotating for some random reason and you need to throttle down.

SC8k2.png

WNHrB.png

cFJ9M.png

PNqaB.png

BZcQ5.png

tdRqm.png

Edited by Bluejayek

Well, assuming a single stage is allowed then this is my entry.

First some shorts of my MK1 prototype:

dAkjp.jpg

DkwVm.jpg

Sadly this proved to be too sensitive to the aerokrak and I had to nurse the throttle every 6km so instead of attempting to get it to orbit I decided to see if a redesign was any less vulnerable as I suspected it was the small flex along the line causing a fairly large deviation in position at the ends.

0OfpB.jpg

8Zo67.jpg

tdenU.jpg

EraGR.jpg

IOIwg.jpg

It's 65 copies of aerospike(1t) + Jumbo fuel tank(18t) + SAS(0.8t) so total weight is 1287 tons (65x19.8t). The middle three are the capsule and two ASAS modules but they weigh the same 0.8 tons as SAS modules.

It was at full thrust all the way with no sign of trouble so you could probably double or even triple that given sufficient computing power - this one is only 195 pieces so it doesn't actually run too badly. Craft file: [ATTACH]32407[/ATTACH]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.