Spaceships exploding as I return to them.

My spaceship has sucessfully landed at minimus where it mined and refined its own fuel, then it flew to another planet.

It is landed at Dres and has been refuling a while so i went on to do other tasks.

Now when i return the ship explodes immediately as i load into the area.  This is not the only time it has happened.

I stoped playing because of it a long while ago, there is no point making more spaceships if i dont know why they explode at random.

Now you have a new expansion and i would be interested in playing it if i could stop this from happening in the future.

What is going on?

1 hour ago, Zhetaan said:

There are certain issues with autostruts that can explain what is going on.  Are you using them?

Also, does it explode every time, or only some of the time?

I am using the standard game setting with no mods so you can tell me if i am using autostruts or not.  I like to think I would know if I was, so i am going to guess no.

I tried reloading a number of times and it happens every time.  

I do not know if it happens only with some of my ships or with all but they are mostly designed very similar and it is happening over completely different rocket rebuilds.

29 minutes ago, Georgegad said:

I am using the standard game setting with no mods so you can tell me if i am using autostruts or not.  I like to think I would know if I was, so i am going to guess no.

To use autostruts you have to right-click a part and add them manually.  So you wouldn't be using them without knowing about it.  But you can always check a copy of the craft in the VAB to make sure.

I had a problem like this a long time ago, and it ended up being because I had parts clipped into each other too far, so it set off the game's collision detection.  

You mention this has happened before - was it always with mining ships?  If so, could be something about the drills.  E.g., if they don't have enough ground clearance they can push your ship off the ground. 

One other thing to try - go into the alt-f12 menu and try the various protective cheats, like unbreakable parts and no overheating.  If one of these stops the ship from blowing up, that's a good lead on pinpointing the problem.

Can you post a screenshot?  That might also help us zero in on the problem.

Exactly which version of the game are you running now? The "explode on load" thing was prevalent in previous versions, but a lot of work has been done on it -- and it really should be mostly fixed now.

It mostly happens because you change the "quality" of the terrain settings between sessions. Changing those terrain settings changes the altitude of the terrain -- the game tries to compensate for the fact that the ground is now at a different altitude, but it doesn't always succeed. Additionally, landing legs and wheels are a factor. The suspensions/springs on those parts cause issues. If you use other parts instead of landing legs (I like to use structural wing segments), the problem also mostly disappears.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.