Any recommended mods?

Just Remember that Docking its not in the game yet, so Space stations need to be 1 stage.

plugins and parts can make the game more easy or more dificult. so will depend on what you want,

for example if you want more realism, you could use the RemoteTech: Relay Network & Debris automation to send unmaned missons with a network of satelites that you created and then control the unmanned with some delay. also the Kethane that lets you mine for gas to use as fuel, and Zoxygene (Life Support) so you need to worry about energy for the support systems.

Mechjeb and carts are my favorite mods. I've used KW Rocketry, and it was really nice. ISA Mapsat is really cool too.

For space stations, the only ones I've used are BACE and Kosmos, but you need to wait for Kosmos to be released again.

The Deep Space Parts Pack is a good one, contains Ion Engines and Solar Panels. Makes space navigation easier, and making satellites look more awesome. Comes with struts blocks/beams to make megastructures too. Don't forget the Down Under Aerospace Parts Pack, which has a lot of neat stuff to get rockets into orbit, and comes with a return shuttle (WARNING: Not meant for atmospheric flight!). 2 of the 2m fuel tanks can send smaller ships into orbit. There's also the Cart mod I use, which let's you drive mini-cars, fun for exploration purposes. Don't forget the Sunbeam Laser, as it is great for clearing whatever junk you have lying around, in space or on a planet. If you don't want to clear the junk with lasers you can always make them explode with the TNT Pack mod, which allows you to attach C4 and TNT to blow up remotely or automatically. Don't forget the smaller WEKA lifeboat, designed for emergencies/return missions. Btw, Spacebuilt lets you make ships though satellites, so you won't need a launch vehicle.

I'll just organise these:

Satellite/Space Station Construction (0.16)

Deep Space Parts Pack

SpaceBuilt

Rocket Parts

Down Under Aerospace and Party Supplies

WEKA Lifeboat

Fun (0.16)

Cart Mod

Debris Clearing (0.16)

Sunbeam Laser

TNT/C4 Packs

Hope this helps!