Two sucessfully failed missions

lowey2002

I'm kinda new to the forums, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I just wanted to share some a few screenshots from two missions that didn't go exactly according to plan but still count as a success for my brave kerbalnaughts.

A soft-landing ballistic missile

Backstory

I was messing around with the aerodynamics and weight distribution for an un-manned, un-controlled ballistic missile. It was a nicely built rocket made from a single large SRB that smacked into the ground still thrusting about 5km away from the launch-pad. I was attempting to gain a bit more distance from the missile when *this* happened.

Mission log

2012-09-06 - 2100

On the launchpad

2jHOEh.png

Ignition

GlVRDh.png

No control

LKZB2h.png

Banking

q5b0Zh.jpg

Top turn

7qi5Fh.png

Nearly spent

rRUvZh.png

Out of fuel

DFSEjh.png

Still climbing

5ZbEeh.png

10km Apoapsis

KiHUCh.png

What goes up

ZBMk3h.png

Corkscrew

eX0Bmh.png

Gaining lift

c0jkvh.png

Reducing speed

5Zapbh.png

Meters away

2CbqIh.png

Impact

bTpOmh.png

Sliding to a halt

pKd54h.png

Not a fluke

AlUYVh.png

Jeb's report

It was discovered that a freak combination of wing alignment and weight distribution in the latest TR-2 model ballistic missile sent the vehicle into a controlled corkscrew descent and landed softly enough that a majority of the craft was recoverable. Despite the craft failing in it's initial objective as a long range unguided missile it has proved to be a remarkable asset to out space-plane program as it provided the jet pilots with cheap, easy and casualty free target practice for bombing runs and interceptions.

A failed Mun-rover

Backstory

Attempting to build a custom unmanned Mun rover, I discovered the location of the Mun arch

Mission log

Testing the rover

AQcV6h.png

Parking break

B1GiQh.png

On the Mun

jUA2mh.png

Immediate Breakup

LdRinh.png

Second attempt on the launchpad

4ttIth.png

Definitely more stable

QnEm2h.png

Coasting on the surface

r4mkLh.png

Breakup again

epBtgh.png

What's that on the horizon?

gVU82h.png

Jeb's report

The second rover solved many of the issues that where discovered in the first design on the AR-7 unmanned Mun rover. Extra fuel was added to the injection phase, the balancing issues was resolved and the thrust was reduced in the rover itself making it more controllable. Despite these improvements, the craft broke apart after 2km of surface travel when it struck a small rock at 12m/sec, breaking the vehicle apart. Before loosing power, the debris of the rover transmitted a single, high-resolution image of a geological impossibility on the horizon. The mission was successful in providing co-ordinates for the so called Mun Arch which will be the focus of future manned missions to the surface of the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.