KSP versus Rockism (static stabillity)

Garrygirthoak

Now i used to religiously use Rock sim years ago to design model and water rockets to ensure that i was at least going to start of stable. Rock sim would also show real time stability during flight by looking at the flight profile window.

What are the key differences that KSP has compared to RockSim when it comes to calculating stability in general. I understand RockSim is a far simpler program however I've made many successful scratch built model rockets from it. 

I'm also wondering who has also experienced using both :)

22 hours ago, Garrygirthoak said:

What are the key differences that KSP has compared to RockSim when it comes to calculating stability in general. I understand RockSim is a far simpler program however I've made many successful scratch built model rockets from it. 

I'm also wondering who has also experienced using both :)

I haven't used both but I think the answer to your question is pretty simple really. KSP doesn't calculate stability, or even help you calculate it all that much. All it does is show you the centre of lift (NOT the centre of pressure!), centre of mass, and centre of thrust, and leaves you to figure it out from there. Stock aerodynamics use a simple occlusion model where each part produces lift and drag; wings for example will only produce lift if their angle of attack > 0. 

Mods augment this. Kerbal Engineer Redux (KER) for example can display thrust torque, and there's another one, I forget what it's called, that can display the dry and wet CoM -- it's a mod intended for optimising RCS. FAR has some tools of its own to help design aerodynamics.

So if you're looking for a detailed aerodynamics simulator with good tools for designing them, KSP ain't it. Aerodynamics just aren't that high a priority. Especially with FAR they're good enough that you can have a ton of fun with them, but that's as far as it goes.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:23 AM, Garrygirthoak said:

Now i used to religiously use Rock sim years ago to design model and water rockets to ensure that i was at least going to start of stable. Rock sim would also show real time stability during flight by looking at the flight profile window.

The key differences are that Rocksim calculates a relatively simple rocket very exactly while KSP calculates a quite complicated rocket(s) in a quite relaxed manner too be able to handle that complex environment on a normal/decent computer/console.

It's somewhat like comparing AstroGator and KSPTOT.

Edit:

For those who haven't tried both.
Astrogator does a decent job using the data and resources available.
KSPTOT use mathlab to bring your selected platform to it's knees (I've actually having to change the fan control of my computer because KSPTOT triggered an over heat... )

Edited by Curveball Anders

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.