TBIT Monolith Finder Prize

Hello again! This is halocon720, the TBIT Founder and CEO, back with another challenge.

Today, the astronomers at the KASA Radio Telescope Array detected a strange radio signal coming from the Mun. They suspect that the signal has something to do with the strange black monoliths found by unmanned probes and manned missions alike. Your task is to locate these monoliths and place an unmanned research lander to perform further studies. Unfortunately, the KASA ISA MapSat array around the Mun was destroyed in a horrific accident involving lasers and a very bored Jeb Kerman, so you will not be able to use satellite mapping.

Rules:

1. No using ISA MapSat. It messes up the storyline and I feel it makes the challenge too easy.

2. The following part packs/plugins may be used: MechJeb, NovaPunch Remix Pack, BACE Building part pack, Probodobodyne DIY Kit, Kethane, MMI Satellite Pack, and anything else that doesn't involve satellite mapping.

Have fun and good luck,

-halocon

I'm guessing that the challenge is only open to those of us who haven't found and documented them all? :D

Pretty much. As I said, Jeb accidentally the entire Munar satellite array, so no using ISA MapSat. I think the reason I never get Jeb as part of my crews is because he had his rocket license suspended for that little incident.

Ok for the purpose of this challenge i have remoddeled my early design which is the M.A.M.B.E. ( Mun and Minmus Buggy Explorer).

ing.png

So here's how it works. The lift stage is pretty normal stuff. After that you have the transfer stage which has 2 sollar pannel just for fun. The rover has 2 4 pannels to power it on site and during the long flight to target. After that the transfer stage seperates and the rover has its own 2 lander boosters. The buggy lands on its wheels and can use the remaining fuel in the landing booster to move around in space if need be. ( like a jump pack). When that ends there are still 3 stages in the buggy. Stage one seperates the 2 landing booster with their fuel tanks. It uses small seperation booster that clear the seperated stage from the rover. The next stage seperates the lower part of the rover from the return stage and the last stage activates the 2 return engines.

seperation.png

trip.png

mooncapture.png

kerbinrise.png

landed.png

Challenge accepted!

Edited by Rich
Added spoiler tags

Seeing as Munoliths are invisible from over 1000m away, without some kind of detector, your challenge is just about being lucky enough to land on top of one.

No, my challenge is about actively searching for these monoliths. It might take days, or weeks, but eventually you'll find one. You don't need to find them all, just one.

However, if you do manage to find them all, then you sir deserve a ice cream and warm chocolate chip cookie sundae.

So, just for clarity sake, let's assume that I can get my manned rover on the mun and am able to find a monolith. You mentioned that we need to establish an unmanned research station there at the site. Does this need to be deployed from the rover, or does it need to be a separate launch? Also, does the original search party need a return plan? Cause I am totally willing to sacrifice a few of my pilots in the name of science!

So, just for clarity sake, let's assume that I can get my manned rover on the mun and am able to find a monolith. You mentioned that we need to establish an unmanned research station there at the site. Does this need to be deployed from the rover, or does it need to be a separate launch? Also, does the original search party need a return plan? Cause I am totally willing to sacrifice a few of my pilots in the name of science!

The unmanned research base is supposed to be another launch. You're supposed to leave the original lander/rover there as a temporary marker. You don't have to bring the original crew home though. Bonus points if you do!

Since the exploration is going slow as a snail without orbital scanning i have developed an upgrade to my last MAMBE program. The idea is this: While landing the MAMBE drops a smaller rover called MAMBINO via skycrane method and than flies off a few meters to land itself. This way i have two rovers at the same time working on finding the prize. MAMBINO is operated by mechjeb and therefore when the kerbal has to return home, the automated rover can stay and continue to work. Sorry if the spoiler tags didint work im not sure how to use them. Cheers and let me know what you think. Oh and the previous lander stage now can stay back in orbit and serve as a satelite if you add the orbital scanner ( tried it out on minmus) not using in due to the challenge thoe. I'm pretty sure this is one of the best ways to explore the kerbal system in its state at the moment ( a bit of self pimpage isint bad from time to time lmao). A big thanks to the person who came up with this challenge as it has pushed me to create this :P

mambino.png
Edited by ReNe

Since the exploration is going slow as a snail without orbital scanning i have developed an upgrade to my last MAMBE program. The idea is this: While landing the MAMBE drops a smaller rover called MAMBINO via skycrane method and than flies off a few meters to land itself. This way i have two rovers at the same time working on finding the prize. MAMBINO is operated by mechjeb and therefore when the kerbal has to return home, the automated rover can stay and continue to work. Sorry if the spoiler tags didint work im not sure how to use them. Cheers and let me know what you think. Oh and the previous lander stage now can stay back in orbit and serve as a satelite if you add the orbital scanner ( tried it out on minmus) not using in due to the challenge thoe. I'm pretty sure this is one of the best ways to explore the kerbal system in its state at the moment ( a bit of self pimpage isint bad from time to time lmao). A big thanks to the person who came up with this challenge as it has pushed me to create this :P

mambino.png

That's a great rocket ReNe! It's a big morale boost to see that people are actually undertaking my challenge!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33091[/ATTACH] This little guy is gonna find him a Munolith!!!

Nice rover UBERDOMINATOR! Great use of the Cart plugin! You too, ReNe!

On a side note, Uber, I recommend you make an imgur account, upload your screenshots, and then post the pictures in spoiler tags here on the forums. Just a little tip.

yeah the problem is your so used to covering ground fast when your in orbit that once you get down there everything is so damn slow you just push that throttle and we all know how that ends. I think i menaged to get to 100 m/s on minmus for some time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.