SAS overshoots rolling like a pendulum eternally.

As title says, SAS seems incapable of applying reaction wheels correctly on the roll axis so I keep getting rockets and stations that wriggle back and forth anywhere between a near invisible amount and up to several degrees, typically waaaay worse the bigger the craft is. Could only find quite old threads about this but none of the ones I read had any actual solution, nor has the game been patched to fix the issue. CLARIFICATION: The squirming will self agitate from the slightest fraction up to a certain point, even if a craft looks stable for several minutes it can start wriggling more and more up to a cap where it at least won't get any worse but it will keep rolling back and forth by that amount forever, this can make docking an absolute nightmare.

Before you ask; the control of these crafts is completely solidly locked to the entire craft, no noodling causing it to twist and lag behind. Increasing or decreasing reaction wheel capacity only substantially affects frequency of the rolling as far as I can tell.

The only temporary workaround I've found is to put three rotors on 3way symmetry with weights on them inside a cargo bay and keep them spinning at some moderate RPM, it causes dampening that makes a substantial difference for up to around 300 ton cafts but becomes very impractical beyond that. (For those not well versed in physics and mechanics: when something spins on one axis it resists having this axis turned in any other direction - having at least three of these pointing away from each other causes the craft to resist turning in all directions and even if you turn off SAS while the craft is rotating on any axis it will eventually slow down to a halt by itself. Yay physics!)

Would make me very relieved if the problem could be taken care of once and for all, preferrably already in the upcoming 1.10 patch if possible but I'd settle for 1.10.1 without rioting in the streets.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: Hatched the idea while typing up the above and have now tested it properly in several variants, there is a different workaround and probable explanation for why not all players are seeing and reporting this issue. By having the control point sit on a flexible part of the craft immediately connected to reaction wheels (or the control point itself having powerful reaction wheels) the "lag" is in a way shifted to the body of the craft (not technically 100% accurate but easier to understand) instead of the control point and this causes a moderate dampening effect as long as the body has its own set of reaction wheels as well. This method can be very hard to apply to complex craft with multiple control points since you can't use the root autostrut on this bendy part so the root has to be in another place than the control point if the craft needs that particular type of strut to reliably fend off Krakens. Combining this "reverse lag" with the spinning weights method produces reliable results for even stations that weigh many thousands of tons, as long as the spinners are somewhat heavy and attached to the main body of the craft and not the control point of course.

Edited by Rejected Spawn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.