Cavebomber challenge

17 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Nice! You really dropped those bombs from far away too. Impressed you hit.

Well, autopilot... though really, I've only got five seconds or so to get clear of them bombs, which isn't much time in my opinion. From that angle, dropping the bombs from far away is necessary when coming in as fast as I do. But that I can do that and still hit is totally due to autopiloting.

Incidentally, the bombs barely drop -- it looks as if the decoupler is acting as a lifting surface or something, I'm not quite sure what happens there.

17 hours ago, Pds314 said:

So that's 3250 points!

Whoa, highscore! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Incidentally, the bombs barely drop -- it looks as if the decoupler is acting as a lifting surface or something, I'm not quite sure what happens there.

the decoupler on top adds drag to the top of the bomb which causes it to pitch up. you can add another on to the bottom if it bothers you. 

On 6/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, ralanboyle said:

snip snip snip

I did not scroll through this thread before, specifically to not be influenced by other designs, apparently we both went in a similar direction!

Here's my take on the X-Wing approach:

kGmF1uD.jpg

hvB4sfo.jpgI3ceIaD.jpgdpx9H1L.jpg

Bomb load to Airfield: +1200

Retro Style: +1000

Gatecrasher is your call; all stock, but a bit of liberty taken with the offset limits (:

7 hours ago, FlipNascar said:

I did not scroll through this thread before, specifically to not be influenced by other designs, apparently we both went in a similar direction!

Here's my take on the X-Wing approach:

kGmF1uD.jpg

hvB4sfo.jpgI3ceIaD.jpgdpx9H1L.jpg

Bomb load to Airfield: +1200

Retro Style: +1000

Gatecrasher is your call; all stock, but a bit of liberty taken with the offset limits (:

I didn't make any rule against part offset. =D

So quick question, you only hit the island right, none of the specific structures there?

9 hours ago, Pds314 said:

I didn't make any rule against part offset. =D

So quick question, you only hit the island right, none of the specific structures there?

I don't have any evidence, therefore not claiming the points. But two of them did hit the hangars, one landed on the "tarmac" (guess this is the collided with the "Island Airfield" by the hangars, and the fourth hit the grass.

Alright, one more:
Cavebomber-VertH.jpg

Cavebomber-VertH_impact.jpg

This was an attempt to carry as much as I could -- but VTOL on both ends requires two Engines and hence reduces the loadout. 574u of solid fuel in each booster -- I'd rather have taken 600 per, but unmodded tweakables won't let me.

One definitely obliterates the Tower, not certain about the hangar, though.

1148u of solid fuel in a little over 2Min, VTOL. As usual, moving pictures are available. Once again the flight was controlled by kRPC, leaving my hands free to control the camera.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.