No Helmet Speed Record

Mission

Make an aircraft controlled by a Kerbal (A Kerbal on their own is not considered an aircraft here) and go as fast as you can without a helmet on. (The Kerbal should be in a command seat).

You may not put a helmet on at any point after takeoff.

You may use any legitimate propulsion mechanism. The aircraft and Kerbal must survive.

Edited by Pds314

12 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

A Kerbal's altitude limit is roughly 10 km ASL before they run out of oxygen. If you put one in a fairing then they can go pretty much as fast as you want. So this is just a speed test under 10 km.

With a fairing, it pretty much doesn't matter if the Kerbal has a helmet or not, right? I thought the point of this challenge was to see how much an unprotected Kerbal could take.

10 hours ago, doggonemess said:

With a fairing, it pretty much doesn't matter if the Kerbal has a helmet or not, right? I thought the point of this challenge was to see how much an unprotected Kerbal could take.

I didn't see any indication that a fairing was disallowed.

If a Kerbal has a helmet and is exposed to the air he can handle up to 800K at over 1 km/s . However, sans helmet his resistance is much lower -- in level flight at 400 meters I got "Jebediah Kerman died without a helmet, too hot" at just under 400 m/s.

Tucked behind a heat shield, but still exposed to the elements, Jeb died at a slightly higher speed (but also at a slightly higher altitude) so I don't think it makes any difference.

Well I assume with a faring there are no aerodynamic forces experienced by entities inside of it, so I opted to use a cargo bay to prevent Jeb from getting to friendly with the atmosphere, according to the aerodynamic overlays he still experiences drag but this time no overheating problems. Run speed 1238m/s

3wQlaR3.jpg

Turned the craft around to have a land landing as I am not going to keep experimenting with fuel and engines as I have it set to burn every last drop to hit max speed and coast in for a landing.wtqS7R8.jpg

proof Jeb experienced drag over the trip, forgot to take a photo at max engine burn so the next one is from a failed attempt as I didn't pay attention to the altitude, 8 Wiplash and 6 Vector for peak performance

E8zjYdh.jpg

puvWmSb.jpg

Run submission with max speed of 1238m/s

Jeb thinks he's flying but we have a drone core in front of him set to ignore all dangerous inputs from the pilot and his joystick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.