BobCat Ind. - Colonization, exploring and research vehicle

BobCat

for some reason, The living Ring section is nto workign for me, the part is there and everythign and it shows fine n game, but theres jsut no way to activate it, Right clickign on it does nothing, and it has no action groups

As far as I tested, yes, they work. (and the mk1 too, aswell).

To got them work, I just had to put them in /GameData/*/, and for each of them I've deleted the GameData/*/Plugin folder to just use the CleverBobCat.dll from the HOME_1.0.31 pack.

Btw, don't forget to add to each Part.cfg the new lines of the 0.20 directory structure :

At the very beginning of your config files :

And at the end :

That's all.

Oh, and there's a little problem between the size of the chassy and the pod of the mk2. To correct this, I just modified the rescaleFactor = 1 of the pod to 0.8.

Hoping this will be usefull :)

What I have difficulty understanding is that, many people are looking for the "official release" of these very interesting mods. Those that are familiar with the part file adjustment say "it's easy.. you just have to.." and requires that you open a part file and adjust the code. And it is explained as.. "its easy"

That being the case... if its so "easy".... then why is bobcat not taking 2 - 5 minutes.. and do these "easy" adjustments and re-publish the mods to work with .20 already?

There are more people that don't tinker with code than there are those that do.. why are they being made to wait so long after KSC .20 release if its so "easy" to adjust?

I call upon Bobcat to take a moment and please make these "easy" adjustments so the "rest of us" can enjoy your wonderful creations too without risking a mistake by tinkering with something we never have, in fear of breaking our game.

5 minutes of your time.. upload... done..

To me, this seems far more "user friendly" then repeatedly saying.. read post #431. or trying to teach everyone how to tinker with code to those who don't wish to.

What I have difficulty understanding is that, many people are looking for the "official release" of these very interesting mods. Those that are familiar with the part file adjustment say "it's easy.. you just have to.." and requires that you open a part file and adjust the code. And it is explained as.. "its easy"

That being the case... if its so "easy".... then why is bobcat not taking 2 - 5 minutes.. and do these "easy" adjustments and re-publish the mods to work with .20 already?

There are more people that don't tinker with code than there are those that do.. why are they being made to wait so long after KSC .20 release if its so "easy" to adjust?

I call upon Bobcat to take a moment and please make these "easy" adjustments so the "rest of us" can enjoy your wonderful creations too without risking a mistake by tinkering with something we never have, in fear of breaking our game.

To me, this seems far more "user friendly" then repeatedly saying.. read post #431. or trying to teach everyone how to tinker with code to those who don't wish to.

Amen. a few minutes ago my mods that i made that adjustment to have completley rainbowed up.

Your calls have been answered. You are now fully authorized to make your own mods and trying to simultaneously deal with the people in your own thread yelling at you, making new content for the people yelling at you, finding time to update the mods that you are not working on anymore, and also make a living while doing all of this. Since you obviously have a much stronger constitution towards such people, and have such superior time management to balance absolutely everything in your life perfectly, I would like to be the first to extend my hand to the new modder in the community and look forward to your fabulous work.

Look, there is no problem with people asking how to do things. Not everyone has had the time and the practice making small changes, understanding code structure, etc. that is necessary to make adjustments themselves. But what is frankly not ok are people that want modding to be a black box package to the point where such a tiny fix is SUCH a hassle to themselves that it becomes something worth complaining about. This is not a major bug that makes it unplayable without major revision, this is a grand total of 13 characters (15 if you count the spaces in scale = 1) that you have to type in to a file you can open in word pad (basically no special software needed).

If you want a black-box experience where everything will be just perfect and the developer is accountable for keeping things up to date and functioning perfectly, play stock. They get paid for this. Bobcat does this in his free time because he wants to. He has absolutely 0 obligation to do anything for anyone. He could totally close Bobcat Ind. as he has in the past, and then we would all be sunk. So just make the changes! In the time it took you to make that post you could have fixed all of the rovers.

And just to re-iterate, they can all be fixed with the following adjustments to the config file. LITERALLY just open the .cfg in the part's folder, and type in the following things:

1. Add "PART {" to the very beginning of the file without the quotation marks

2. Add "Scale = 1" immediately after the line that says "rescaleFactor = (whatever)" again without quotation marks

3. Add "}" to the very end of the file after everything else, again without the quotation marks.

That is all you have to do. That is it. It IS easy, there is no special knowledge you need for this, other than the ability to read english and type with your hands. This has been detailed several times in this thread.

Edited by PringleMan

Bobcat, I just want to let you know this hold on the H.O.M.E 2 pack is holding up my plans for interstellar domination. All these hints at your new shiny toys are making your old toys look dull and sad. Naw, but seriously, Ive had a great time with HOME and the JoolV (which i updated myself, its my favorite launcher system)m I cant wait for whats in store next.

Bobcat, I just want to let you know this hold on the H.O.M.E 2 pack is holding up my plans for interstellar domination. All these hints at your new shiny toys are making your old toys look dull and sad. Naw, but seriously, Ive had a great time with HOME and the JoolV (which i updated myself, its my favorite launcher system)m I cant wait for whats in store next.
Interstellar? Where do you want to go?

I want to park ships out in high orbits just to keep them at the ready. Plus you cant really expect to colonize the stars until you maximize your home system. Youd be better off setting up a base on the Mun, or an orbital shipyard around the Mun. Feed it minerals and fuel from Mun and not have to deal with Kerbins gravity well anymore. So basically, the sooner I can get my Bases and planetary mining operations up the sooner I can prepare orbital shipyards, and start building super large frames that dont need as much strut bracing.

Edited by shadowsutekh
Merged the double posting of the same text.

This is not a major bug that makes it unplayable without major revision, this is a grand total of 13 characters (15 if you count the spaces in scale = 1) that you have to type in to a file you can open in word pad (basically no special software needed).

And just to re-iterate, they can all be fixed with the following adjustments to the config file. LITERALLY just open the .cfg in the part's folder, and type in the following things:

1. Add "PART {" to the very beginning of the file without the quotation marks

2. Add "Scale = 1" immediately after the line that says "rescaleFactor = (whatever)" again without quotation marks

3. Add "}" to the very end of the file after everything else, again without the quotation marks.

That is all you have to do. That is it. It IS easy, there is no special knowledge you need for this,

This is my point exactly Pringle. You just said it yourself. its ONLY 15 characters.. its easy.. it takes no time at all. anyone can do it.

So.... why hasn't this been done by the author or associate and then re-uploaded to the spaceport as ver 0.20 compatible? Cause.. its ONLY 15 characters.. its easy.. anyone can do it...

5 minutes and any repetitive questions would be quelled. and you yourself would not have to say.

This has been detailed several times in this thread.

I totally understand that bobcat is working on improvements, content additions, feature additions and the end product will be even better than the original.. and yes.. that part takes a LOT of time.. but this interim adjustment would satisfy the issue that not all people want to tinker with the code at all. And it could have been done in mere minutes. Of which he could have returned to his goals of a better mod going forward.

You yourself probably made the adjustment to your files.. then why not ask Bobcat for permission to upload it on spaceport with the wording reflective of the upcoming changes.

"All Bobcat vehicles now .20 compatible. Simply place the zipped content in your gamedata files.

With permission of the author, this is a short term patch until the new and improved version of the vehicles are completed.

Keep an eye out for them as they will be even better with new features and content....

Then you would not have to reply with.

deal with the people in your own thread yelling at you, making new content for the people yelling at you, finding time to update the mods that you are not working on anymore

5 minutes... 15 characters.... easy.... anyone can do it... So why hasn't it been done?

If it was done.. nobody would be yelling.. Because in the time you took to write your post.. you could have uploaded the files and solved so much with so little effort.

Meraco, because, they are bobcats files. and NO ONE is going to publicly distribute a changed version of them. No One.

when a mod author abandons KSP for a long time, (months and months of no forum activity for instance) then it would be acceptable for someone else to step up and edit/change/update the mod and re-distribute a new version.

Bobcat is still VERY active in KSP, Bobcat is writing new stuff, making new things. When He, and Only He, gets around to re-packaging a v.20+ version, then he and only he will distribute it.

It is out of respect, and License rules, and common curtisy that no one else will do it "for him".

Meraco, because, they are bobcats files. and NO ONE is going to publicly distribute a changed version of them. No One.

when a mod author abandons KSP for a long time, (months and months of no forum activity for instance) then it would be acceptable for someone else to step up and edit/change/update the mod and re-distribute a new version.

Bobcat is still VERY active in KSP, Bobcat is writing new stuff, making new things. When He, and Only He, gets around to re-packaging a v.20+ version, then he and only he will distribute it.

It is out of respect, and License rules, and common curtisy that no one else will do it "for him".

Fair enough. But in the mean time.. many new players scratch their heads and ask. "when will you make it work for .20" over and over. they see people write how to make the changes within the file. And those that refuse to alter code in fear, or due to lack of experience will pass the mod by. And this is the part that I find unusual. When it would take so little time and effort to make it work. He's on other stuff.. I get that too. But in not questioning his time management.. I question his order of priority.

If making something new takes a week

and making a change to a file to make it .20 compatible takes 5 mins..

Do you? do the 5 min adjustment than put all effort into the new work?

or

Do the 1 week work first then make the adjustment?

As it was suggested by Pringle. The ANT .18 has been abandoned as a work warranting time for compatibility adjustment, releasing time to work on the long term revamp of the product in a future iteration.

But in the meantime.. the Ant .18 is rendered unusable as an upload on stardock "to those who do not make file adjustments" and they all wait.

This is what I find obscure about the modding process.

Let us imagine for a moment.

KSP was released as .20.0 (there were bugs)

but the Devs want to work on new future content.

So.. do you make a hot patch to fix the bug. ( .20.2 )

or wait till the next version cause it will have new content and features and .20.0 is now old news and no longer valid of attention?

I am glad Squad chose to fix .20 as fast as they did.. or yeah.. the forums would be hate filled.. and we all know it...

This is the reason I am perplexed how the author of these incredible and amazing Mods. and I hail Bobcat.. his stuff is amazing.. and adds so much to the KSP experience.. However.. some of his creations has been left behind as the user base frowns in waiting.

So to quote what your saying:

Would the abandoned mods like .18 which will be completely redone (later) not be worthy of stepping up? or at least "asking" if it could be re-distributed? I'm not saying just to up and do it.. im saying why not Ask Bobcat if one could be allowed to?

In all likelihood. he would welcome the assistance. " yeah please if you have time, im too busy with the new stuff"

Hardly a point of contention and devoid of insult..

While true that the config fixes are easy to update, it is highly recommended to leave that up to BobCat himself. Presently he is busy updating other mods of his such as the Soviet pack which he just updated for .20 which includes by my count 84 parts and 8 IVAs, and the brand new American pack based around the Ares and Orion and a whole new rover. There is also HOME2 and of course behind the scenes things, such as real life. He said that he needs a rest so we will just have to be patient. In the mean time please try not to get stuck in your present course of discussion which doesn't accomplish anything. While we wait, it would be more beneficial to help those that need assistance updating it for themselves.

@Meraco Devs get paid to do what they do, modders do it for fun. When its not fun anymore they stop doing it. When people start demanding things be done then it becomes an unpaid job, which they will leave.

Well I do respect the position on this matter, and I have said my peace on it.

I myself do not have the issue. I have made the file adjustments since the .20 release.

Prior to KSP I was an avid enthusiast of Orbiter by Martin Schweiger. I have modified versions of the DGIV - 1,2 and 3 made by Dan. I also had the opportunity to work with Gene Harm who is with NASA on his works. And in so doing I saw a different way when it came to core game updates and how to keep up with the times. Because I was part of it.

My outreach to the author was simply an attempt at logic based on experience, with concerns for the less adept when it came to code adjustments.. I understand the fear of breaking something and the feeling of being left behind. So my thoughts are with those that are waiting. Nothing more.

So being new to KSP for the most part. I shall simply observe and enjoy the simulation and the mod components as they come available.

As for those in waiting.. I apologies... I tried..

-snip-

edit: You know I wrote this wall of text explaining about how modding should not be a black box process, about how blah blah blah. The usual stuff someone posts in a forum fight.

If you already made the fixes, package them up in a rar and post em. To be honest, Bobcat probably won't care as long as you post it in here. If he does, take it down. That is pretty much the full range of what can happen.

Sorry if I was harsh the first time around, the last thing I wanna do is drive someone off. But you cannot directly map your real-world commercial environment experiences for "core game updates" to an unpaid, non-native english speaker. Certainly there are good ideas that come from that, but that cannot be the basis for pestering someone on content they do not officially support at the moment.

Edited by PringleMan

I think it's time to revive this thread a bit, i wonder if bobcat could give the stuff he is no longer working on/does not want to work on, with his permission, maybe the said stuff to someone willing to work with it? Like how Devo took the Eagle out of Redspar's hands.

Not saying i could do it, no, not until i get to the stage of this stuff in Education. But, is there anyone out there who can continue this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.