Ruh 1 - mission to land a robotic probe on Ablate's dark side - special record discovered!

lajoswinkler

It's been ages since I made a mission report or did a serious mission but I finally found some time.

Kerbal Ministry of no better things to do (MONBTTD) unlocked some of the budget money and directed it into a first mission of its kind - to land a robotic probe on the hidden side of Ablate, a dwarf planet originally from historically important Planet Factory by Kragrathea, and one of the first custom made planetary bodies ever made.

This is not the first time something has reached or landed on this scorched world, but it might even be the first time to do so on its dark side. AFAIK, there have been no such reports on the forum, but feel free to correct me.

Unlike Mün, Ablate actually has a dark side because the body is tidally locked to Kerbol. This means it's been eons since anything except starlight or distant weak shine from other planetary bodies lit its surface. While the sunlit side bakes in excess of 1000 °C, dark side is expected to be extremely cold.

I forgot to take screenshots of the rocket that launched the probe but rest assured it was gigantic. 5 m wide first stage with two largest solid rocket boosters. Last stage was a 5 m spheroid tank propelled by a 2.5 m LV-NB "Sisyphus" nuclear engine from KSPX.

Ruh tug probe itself is propelled by PB-ION2 "Hayabusa", also from KSPX.

Spoiler

BDF80E7270CF89DF179FB59EF784208341364ADA

Kerbal engineers included a "Banana for scale" mod, but the banana was not too happy about the arrangement.

Spoiler

BBCB850BC094300181B245017E9078B1DF53170F

I took a lot more fuel than usual so there were no surprises. The probe entered orbit without problems.

Spoiler

943086EFB97C981CF3D563E98A08EE0E4A8D9971

Spoiler

CEF87160C5F7100FE5D63E216B486C64B02BBD80

Dark side has been examined yet again with an infrared camera equipped with a shiny flashlight. Why, you'll find out soon.

Landing will be difficult since the terrain is very jagged.

Spoiler

1D6A924C489B9BBD658CB988B9E24AFEAD17DFBA

After the tug released the lander I landed it in total darkness and without retrograde lock (old school, but I simply used a crappy probe!), relying on ground altimeter only. Upon touchdown, it tumbled few times but RCS helped in correcting its orientation.

Spoiler

226B3A090DC7FC257E1120D0C1AEBFE1F4670AC9

It's been a good idea to take an RTG unit along because temperature of Ablate's dark side is 2.7 K, or -270.45 °C. This is the coldest place in Kerbol system and it's been hiding on the hottest planet.

Spoiler

20D806322778979B9B2369CAE47313E1703389AD

Here's a panorama taken by the infrared camera.

Ionizing radiation level (Kerbalism!) is around 49 mSv/h on sunlit side and 130 µSv/h on the dark side.

Spoiler

RlSXrSf.png

Conclusion

This planet is likely a blasted planetary core and if it existed in real life, its dark side, cold as the universe itself, would be covered by various deposited volatiles that distilled off from the sunlit side. Habitability? The Ministry concluded it would be possible near the terminator in the form of shaded pressure vessels connected to heat exchangers bathing in intense Kerbol radiation, but the thing that prevents viability of such colony is extreme difficulty of reaching it. Ablate is so close to Kerbol and requires at least 25 km/s of Δv starting from Kerbin. Leaving it would be easier once a fuel production facility is established since there would be large amounts of ice accumulated on the surface, ready to be converted into fuel.

Edited by lajoswinkler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.