Hidden tools

erkha343

When Nova was posting pictures of 0.17, he was often using a tool, much like the dev console, to put ships in orbit around other bodies. How can we use this tool?

I want to use this to train powered landings on Duna, since there are no training scenarios and we're not able to make scenarios yet.

that's the Dev console, I want the orbit changer thingy :c

Harvester mentioned this tool once before. It is only available when Unity is running the game in debug mode. As we don't have the original unity project file (for obvious reasons) we can't use it. Also when fully compiling the project for other people to run it Unity doesn't include the debug tools resulting in us not having the orbit changer thingy as you call it :D

The reason we haven't included that tool is because it causes trouble more often than it works... It's a very hacky thing we threw together here. Granted, it is very useful for testing and such, but the potential for destruction is just too high.

We do want to clean it up a bit, and make it available through the cheat toolbar. So, it's possible it will be included on a future update.

Cheers

I have found that by fiddling with the persistence file this effect can be achieved.

copying the sit, landed, landedAt, splashed, lat, lon, alt, hgt, nrm, rot & CoM values from the target ship to your warping ship, as well as all the ORBIT values will get your warping ship to the exact location of your target ship.

Of course the first time I tried this I had two ships occupying the same space at the same time which resulted in a most Kerbal like explosion.

Offsetting the SMA (Semi Major Axis) by a value of 10 to 20 seems to get you a very stable orbit within 30 to 50 meters of your target ship.

Also note that the persistence file is reloaded each time you enter the tracking station, so just proceed as follow :

- Put a target ship in orbit and the ship you want to warp on the launch pad.

- Return to the space center.

- Edit the persistence.sfs as stated above (best done with an advanced notepad software, as notepad ++)

- Open the tracking station and focus your ship, which should be in orbit.

Warning : do this only with orbiting ships !

Hope this helps

The reason we haven't included that tool is because it causes trouble more often than it works... It's a very hacky thing we threw together here. Granted, it is very useful for testing and such, but the potential for destruction is just too high.

We do want to clean it up a bit, and make it available through the cheat toolbar. So, it's possible it will be included on a future update.

Cheers

Thanks for clearing that out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.