resources and narrow band scanner

I understand the broadband resource scanner but I am week on the narrow Bad scanner.

I understand that the broad band generates a low resolution map of the entire planet that can be access in the tracking station and the map mode of vessels. 

I know that the narrow band will only map areas directly below the probe. In its polar orbit it will cover the entire planet over time. Does it build a resource map of the surface that is saved so I can reference it later to decide good landing/mining locations? Or can you only access information on the surface it is currently moving over?

No, the narrow band scanner does not save a resource map.

I believe the intended use for this device is to be monitoring the scanner interface in real time. When you are over a location you should observe the ore concentrations percentages that show when you drag its marker across the scanner map. When you find a promising ore site click the "Waypoint" button to add a waypoint marker for future landers to target.

Be aware that it's really only effective when you have already sent down a landing probe with a surface scanning module to run an analysis of the biome in which you are likely to mine. This will allow the narrow band scanner to discern various concentrations within biomes at greater detail.

Also, to clarify:

The orbital survey scanner map shows you the chances of finding any ore in the biomes across a planet or moon. It does not show you the concentration of ore that your miner could find under the surface - only how likely it is that you will find any ore at all. A 80% on the orbital scanner could just be an 80% chance of finding a 1% concentration of ore.

The narrow band scanner initially only shows you the average concentration of ore in the biome underneath the marker. But, after running a surface analysis with the surface scanning module, the narrow band scanner will now show you the concentration of ore at any specific location within its field of view. It can be used to place markers on sites with promising concentrations of ore for future missions to follow.

The surface scanning module can only be used in contact with the surface, but it will show the concentration of ore directly underneath the scanner and improves the accuracy of narrow band scanner maps after you run an analysis.

For both the narrow band scanner, and the surface scanning module, you can expect to see sites with anywhere between a 1% to 14% concentration of ore. It is unlikely to be any higher. Some sites will have zero ore at all, of course.

Edited by HvP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.