Deploying Science

I have not played in a couple of years. Things have changed.

I have a pilot, scientist and engineer on Mimnus. I cannot figure out how to deploy the science projects to the surface.

When I choose a science module, I cannot place it on the ground. Various parts of the ship show blue, but that is not where I want the module to go.

How do I deploy?

Second: The backpack and the jetpack. What do I need these for? OK, the jetpack is for jetting around, but are they preventing the deployment of the science modules by filling up my inventory slots? Can any of this stuff be left behind?

I'm so stopped cold!

PS I am playing in science mode, but ran into the exact same thing in sandbox.

3 hours ago, LunaTrick said:

I have not played in a couple of years. Things have changed.

I have a pilot, scientist and engineer on Mimnus. I cannot figure out how to deploy the science projects to the surface.

When I choose a science module, I cannot place it on the ground. Various parts of the ship show blue, but that is not where I want the module to go.

How do I deploy?

Second: The backpack and the jetpack. What do I need these for? OK, the jetpack is for jetting around, but are they preventing the deployment of the science modules by filling up my inventory slots? Can any of this stuff be left behind?

I'm so stopped cold!

PS I am playing in science mode, but ran into the exact same thing in sandbox.

Are you talking about deployable science? For that, you need to right-click on the storage bay you put them in and take out the science modules and then manually place them on the ground. If you cant reach ground from your current location, just put it in your kerbals inventory and take it down with you And if your talking about something else, please go into detail on what you're trying to place down. 

I am pretty sure the backpack if I remember right, is the kerbals parachute. If you need more inventory slots, you can always put that inside the storage container you brought and place down your equipment, and then put it back on.

Edited by Vanadiumn

Deploying science: you keep each experiment, controller and power sources in an inventory (either ship or container). Then on the surface, using a scientist, transfer the part you want to place into his/her personal inventory. You will probably have to switch out the parachute and jet pack for some parts as they are too big/heavy to carry as well. 

When you’ve decided where you want to place them, hover the mouse pointer in the bottom left (I think) of the inventory box the part is in and you should see a white down arrow appear. If you click this it’ll transfer the part to placement mode. You can change the rotation etc to suit then when you click it places them neatly down. They then deploy automatically. There are some little bonus animations if you “interact” with the part but I don’t think they have any significance in getting science.

Don’t just grab them and drop them as they can explode on impact. Also there’s no need for wires or anything, they connect to each other ‘wirelessly’. Also don’t mix it up with the engineer’s “I” construction mode (you mentioned parts turning blue) it’s different.

Jetpack etc: as described above you have to switch them out for some of the parts. The backpack is actually a parachute. You can set them in the editor if you don’t want parachutes for example (i normally do this) and if you turn on persistent inventory, it will remember the last inventory contents (otherwise it will give each Kerbal the default jetpack/chute combo) every time you launch a new mission.

Edit: ninja’d 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, FruitGoose said:

Deploying science: you keep each experiment, controller and power sources in an inventory (either ship or container). Then on the surface, using a scientist, transfer the part you want to place into his/her personal inventory. You will probably have to switch out the parachute and jet pack for some parts as they are too big/heavy to carry as well. 

When you’ve decided where you want to place them, hover the mouse pointer in the bottom left (I think) of the inventory box the part is in and you should see a white down arrow appear. If you click this it’ll transfer the part to placement mode. You can change the rotation etc to suit then when you click it places them neatly down. They then deploy automatically. There are some little bonus animations if you “interact” with the part but I don’t think they have any significance in getting science.

Don’t just grab them and drop them as they can explode on impact. Also there’s no need for wires or anything, they connect to each other ‘wirelessly’. Also don’t mix it up with the engineer’s “I” construction mode (you mentioned parts turning blue) it’s different.

Jetpack etc: as described above you have to switch them out for some of the parts. The backpack is actually a parachute. You can set them in the editor if you don’t want parachutes for example (i normally do this) and if you turn on persistent inventory, it will remember the last inventory contents (otherwise it will give each Kerbal the default jetpack/chute combo) every time you launch a new mission.

Edit: ninja’d 

Where do you turn on persistent inventory? Why is none of this in the wiki?

update: just tried to deploy the experiment module and PV system on surface of the Mun. I had to have no backpack or jetpack to allow the engineer to carry the pv system away from the ship. First problem solved.

I was able to set one PV up and interact with it. second problem solved

BUT NO. Back to the original complaint.

I get out my scientist. I want him to put the exp control module next to the PV system. When I choose it from my personal inventory, it turns all storage areas on the ship blue, as if I want to put it away in storage.  If I right click on the exp mod in my personal inventory, nothing. If I left click it selects it as if I am going to store it somewhere. That's the problem. I cannot get it to put the exp mod in my hand so that I can lay it next to the PV. It wants to put it in a storage bin or back into my inventory only. How do I get it to my hands?

What am I not understanding?

Edited by LunaTrick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.