Breaking Ground crashing KSP!

Hi all,

Im playing on Windows 7.

To start off with I want to say that I was using KSP 1.9.x with breaking ground, making history and a bunch of mods all installed via CKAN.

I hadnt played KSP in a while and tried to launch it up but would get stuck at loading - (loading Expansion Assets Breaking Ground)

Thought maybe something updated without me knowing so I decided to do a fresh install. Copied out my saves and CKAN folder, then deleted the entire KSP folder and redownloaded a fresh KSP 1.11.1 portable from the site.

Unzipped and it runs fine. but after installing breaking ground (and without Making History or any mods), I can't open the game.
It gets stuck a while at load with the loading expansion assets, then eventually gets to Done Loading Assets and then crashes 2 second later.

This is without any mods mind you.

Logs?

Usually when the game crashes at "loading expansion assets" it's nothing to do with the DLCs at all- it's just that loading the DLCs is the last thing that happens before the game compiles and any exception or error in that process that prevents the game loading will leave it hanging on that screen with the loading DLC message. The log files (KSP.log inside the KSP folder and Player.log in C:/users/your-username-here/AppData/LocalLow/Squad/Kerbal Space Program, AppData is a hidden folder so you'll need to turn on 'show hidden folders' to find it) should show what the problem is. Follow this guide:

You should try using KSP 1.11.2 as that's the most up to date version.

11 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Logs?

Usually when the game crashes at "loading expansion assets" it's nothing to do with the DLCs at all- it's just that loading the DLCs is the last thing that happens before the game compiles and any exception or error in that process that prevents the game loading will leave it hanging on that screen with the loading DLC message. The log files (KSP.log inside the KSP folder and Player.log in C:/users/your-username-here/AppData/LocalLow/Squad/Kerbal Space Program, AppData is a hidden folder so you'll need to turn on 'show hidden folders' to find it) should show what the problem is. Follow this guide:

You should try using KSP 1.11.2 as that's the most up to date version.

Thanks for the reply. I did try checking the logs but since Im using the portable version, there are no logs in the %appdata/locallow folder. The latest crash log I have is from April of last year.

Also seeing that I just downloded KSP again yesterday I guess its 1.11.2. Perhaps I'll try again with the installer instead.

but as I said, the game (unmodded) launches just fine until Breaking Ground is installed, then after it was installed it crashes at launch. So the problem is definitely due to Breaking Ground

Also for what its worth I checked the KSP.log file inthe main game folder and found a bunch of lines like this: Found 0 types

[LOG 15:20:30.294] Expansion serenity detected in path D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\Serenity
[LOG 15:20:30.301] GetTypesOfModulesImplementingInterface2: Found 69 types with IPartModuleAdjuster interface in 1 assemblies.
[LOG 15:20:30.309] GetSubclassesOfParentClass: Found 0 types with ModuleActiveRadiator parent in 1 assemblies.
[LOG 15:20:30.316] GetSubclassesOfParentClass: Found 0 types with ModuleAlternator parent in 1 assemblies.

Edited by BaronVonchesto

• 3 weeks later...

Okay for whomever else might be facing this problem,

it would seem the newest version of Breaking Ground just HATES windows 7 and refuses to run on it.

I dual boot my machine on W7 and W10 and the game runs fine on windows 10. While KSP 1.12 is unstable on windows 7 even without breaking ground, the game is perfectly stable on windows 10... go figure

I guess a lot has changed since 1.09 or so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.