Previous Load file will not open since installing 1.12

Hi,

So 2 of my previous save games open fine.  One however refuses to open.

Windows 10, x64 

There's no information in the current Player.log., the game doesn't crash, instead:

1) select Start Game, Resume Saved

2) Select the name and Load

3) The save window stays open, but the Resume Save, Start Game, Training text, that the box is occluding, is now highlighted. Now if you click on the still visible box  but in the region where for example part of the text that Scenarios is you now get the scenarios window opening. 

4) The delete and Cancel buttons on the still visible Continue Saved Game dialog still work.

This only happens with this specific saved game. (othewr previous games that I've not played since about 1.6 still load fine) If I copy the saved game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\reusable) and give is a new name, then the same behaviour still occurs with the new copy of the saved game.

When this first happened I had MechJeb 2 and Advanced Fly by wire installed. I've since uninstalled them, and see the same behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...

To repair your save you'll want to locate the persistent.sfs file in the save's folder and delete it. Then you'll want to look around in Backup, as the guy above me mentioned, but also in your quicksaves to try and find the most recent .sfs file. They're all in the same format and valid game save files. Once you have one, go ahead and copy it and replace the persistent.sfs file we deleted earlier with the copy.

Once you've done that, you should be able to load up the save without issue on the version you last played it in, or any later version. The game auto-upgrades save files to the format of the current version if it's older, but the format hasn't changed much and mods don't really bother it typically, so there shouldn't be any other issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.