Community Bug-Fixes and Workarounds

OHara

For many KSP bugs, players have posted their workarounds on the bug-tracker, which now requires a login to view. 
Many of the workarounds use the mod Module Manager to apply changes to configuration files; in a post below I'll mention changing the files directly.

Here are several bugs (sorted by votes on the tracker) with links to players' solutions :
[and, at the moment several where I think there are solutions but have not yet found them to link] 

+ Several parts do not quite fit together, visually. (link)

+ Mining asteroids results in asteroid-plus-ore with more mass than the original asteroid  [?]

+ Making History: KV-1/2/3 pods have very high drag. (link)

+ Linux: Mouse-Wheel direction is reversed  (link)

+ Mk2 Fuselage Textures flip when rotating the craft (link)

+ Making History: Structural Tubes don't shield objects inside of them (link)

+ Incorrect biomes on Eve and Tylo  [?]

+ Engine Plumes are capped at 50% the length they had before version 1.11 broke  [?]

+ Breaking Ground: Turbo-shaft engines have no sound  [?]

+ Making History: RV-1 "cub" Vernier Engine is very loud (link)

+ Decoupling a sub-craft breaks physics if the root part of the sub-craft is a strut or small connector (link)

+ Breaking Ground: Propeller Blades do not propel under water [?]

+ Decal flags produce strange lift [?]

+ #autoLoc_6006035 and similar appear where there should be readable text [?]

+ Contracts require a craft with a 'Materials Bay' by which they mean the SC-9000 Science Junior [?]

Probably other forum users will post many other bug-fixes below.

There is also a long-standing thread (link) for changes to the rules of the game that players feel are improvements to the game.

Edited by OHara

For readers who do not (yet) use Module Manager, here is an example of how and why we use it.

For the problem with the 'Cub' engine being too loud, @surge explained in the thread linked below that we can solve the problem by changing  configuration file for that part  /GameData/SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Engine/LiquidEngineRV-1.cfg  ---specifically, reducing the final number in the line with the word 'volume' from 1.0 down to 0.1.

If we edit the *.cfg files directly, we might need to remember exactly what we changed, whether to reverse our changes if they turn out to be bad ideas, or to re-apply them if we install a bug-fix release of KSP.  There is also a the risk of a typing error confusing KSP when it reads these files.

@surge suggested that we instead write our changes in a separate text file, that gives instructions for the program 'patch' that edits the configuration files.
                 clip = sound_rocket_mini
                 volume = 0.0 0.0
-                volume = 1.0 1.0
+                volume = 1.0 0.1

'patch' was standard on every serious computer in 1978 and is still very useful, but the mod Module Manger does a better job for KSP.

To use Module Manger, you create a text file in the GameData directory, give it the extension .cfg, and insert this text :

@PART[LiquidEngineRV-1] {
  @EFFECTS {
    @running {
      @AUDIO {
        // make the second line that begins 'volume' say 'volume = 1.0 0.1'
        @volume,1 = 1.0 0.1
}}}}

Module Manager applies the change (changing max volume from 1.0 to 0.1) while KSP is reading *.cfg files.  This way you never change any of KSPs original files.

If you don't want to use Module Manager, you can probably figure out how to make the changes from some other users' patch meant for Module Manager.  The lines beginning '@' specify where to make the changes, and the part after the '=' replaces everything after the corresponding '=' in the configuration file.  Details (and there are many) are on the wiki on the Module Manager github. The most difficult part can be finding the configuration file that defines the LiquidEngineRV-1.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:37 AM, OHara said:

Linux: Mouse-Wheel direction is reversed  [?]

I concur with this for KSP 1.12.0. As I prefer to use a 3 button trackball without a scroll-wheel, I barely care, but did notice it.

I wonder if it's specific to linux? What about the BSD users (MacOS)?

I did try to invert the controls in the settings menu, but it didn't do anything *shrug*. I guess that is broken too.

So, no workaround yet... I haven't perused the settings.cfg yet for anything relevent. Maybe you want to?

7 hours ago, surge said:

I haven't perused the settings.cfg yet for anything relevant

@JimmyR found a few years ago that in settings.cfg under AXIS_MOUSEWHEEL setting "scale = −1" solved the problem for him.  I added a link to his post into the top post here.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, OHara said:

+ Mining asteroids results in asteroid-plus-ore with more mass than the original asteroid  [?]

+ Breaking Ground: Propeller Blades do not propel under water [?]

+ #autoLoc_6006035 and similar appear where there should be readable text [?]

Mining asteroids: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/25730 From what I read on the tracker, there are no permanent fixes, only ones that work temporarily.

Underwater props: Not user-fixable as far as I know. I believe it's hard-coded into KSP.

AutoLoc: For some reason, the localization fails intermittently on game load. It doesn't appear to be a consistent, and rebooting and/or reverifying KSP fixes it.

I can verify those last two by finding the relevant threads if you want the help.

Underwater props: Not user-fixable as far as I know. I believe it's hard-coded into KSP.

Isn't this (accidentally) by design? KSP is not a submarine simulator!

In real life, if you put a propellor designed for air into an incredibly dense fluid like water, it would immediately shatter into a bagillion pieces, or bend into a useless clump of metal. I don't see a problem here.

Come on, be reasonable.

Personally the fact that Jet-Turbines work in water is already ridiculous.

Edited by surge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.