A plane for a new world

Throughout the forums, everyone shows the big, bulky, expensive and sophisticated craft with incredible range, efficiency, speed or size. but  kerbin needs a domestic cargo service too, something mass-producible, able to reach remote landing sites and transport the cargo distributed across kerbin. YOUR GOAL: A Reliable, Unique, Long Range and Durable Craft to carry mid size cargo (multiple 2.5 service bays worth) Anywhere On Kerbin (or Laythe ).  dlc and part mods not allowed (for fairness). kraken drives are ok.

my attempt - bluebird 2 seaplane [min speed - 40m/s, cruising speed200m/s, sea or land landings] bluebird 2 file

Edited by not giving a name
linking demo craft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a brief mission report: I may have misunderstood the challenge, cuz I built something Mk-III size. Actually I already have 6 cruise jets which basically meets the requirement of "long range" and "durable". But for "unique" I built a Cruise Jet 7. It can take off at 120m/s ground speed with full fuel, or 80m/s with 10% fuel. Landing, however, is only possible with most of the fuel depleted, somehow like real airplanes which need(?) to release fuel for emergency landing after takeoff. One attempt to land the plane with full fuel resulted in catastrophic failure. Pics below.

Spoiler

OQW4cn.png
OQWfpj.png
OQW2tg.png
OQWy0f.png
OQW77T.png
OQWvcR.png
OQf9HK.png
OQWxj1.png
OQfF4e.png
OQfVgA.png
OQf3CQ.png
OQfDC4.png
OQf83j.png
OQfUbV.png
OQfJvn.png
OQf05F.png
OQfr8J.png
OQfcK1.png
OQfyvR.png

I may try to use the 2.5m cargo bays as the fuselage later:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Finally got some time for this challenge!

I know mods aren't allowed, but can I use kOS to map thrust to docking port acquire force for my Kraken drive?

It's not necessary to use such ways to modify the force as you can create continuous, variable force by an antagonistic arrangement of two docking port drives, each using an airlock, with an offset to their extension creating an imbalance of force (which is mapped to the throttle).

I have a craft in KerbalX which demonstrates this:

https://kerbalx.com/dnbattley/Space-Arrow-CVK-Jet-Mk-1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.