VTOL Avengers Quinjet

I decided to try my hand at the Avengers Quinjet, but I couldn't decide which version to do.

There's the early one with the large in-wing rotor that can tilt:

Spoiler

quinjet-4.jpg

quinjet1.webp
quinjet3.png

There's an intermediate version with lift fans hidden in an intake underneath fixed wings:

Spoiler

quinjet-2.jpg

And then there are several late-stage versions which don't appear to have any lift fans at all:

Spoiler

quinjet-5.png

quinjet6.jpg

After some thought, I decided to try and replicate the mid-to-late-stage Quinjet from the end of Black Widow because I didn't really want to bother too much with rotors, so here you go!

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png

There's really minimal part clipping. The Dawn engines are really just for show; they don't provide anything like a usable amount of thrust. You don't need infinite fuel or infinite electricity to fly it but I turned on infinite electricity just because it keeps the Dawns from flaming out.

This quinjet has thirteen Juno engines for forward thrust and two Wheesleys for vertical lift inside of a 1.25-meter payload bay. All of them are controlled with independent action groups. When the Quinjet is fully loaded with fuel, the Wheesleys don't have quite enough thrust for VTOL, so I added two clusters of Twitch engines inside the payload bay:

screenshot6.png

I turned off the gimbal on all of the Twitch engines and inside tied them to a couple of KAL-1000 controllers, one for roll and one for pitch. The throttle on the Twitch engines is bound to the main throttle, allowing me to easily manage hover, but the KAL-1000s can reduce the thrust limiter by up to 80% to control roll and pitch for stability.

There's not a lot of oxidizer on board because sustained hover really wasn't the point; you really only need 2-3 seconds of thrust from the Twitch engines to get off the ground and then you can turn them off and fire up the Junos:

screenshot8.png

It has ridiculously low wing loading (not by design, just a consequence of trying to match the appearance of the movies) so stall speed is stupidly low, like 34 m/s or something.

screenshot9.png

At the same time the center of lift is just barely behind the center of mass so while it is stable in level flight it is also ridiculously maneuverable. It can go from level flight at 200 m/s to a pitch-up, roll, and turn to 180 degrees in mere seconds by trading speed for lift. 

screenshot11.png

Unfortunately it is not what I would describe as terribly fast. There's a LOT of drag and the Junos just don't have that much power.

screenshot13.png

If it can hit Mach 0.7 in level flight it's doing well.

It can land vertically with or without using the Twitch engines, although it is much more controllable with the Twitches or with a puff of RCS. Landing without the Twitches takes some finesse, as you basically have to cut the Junos, glide to your stall speed, then pitch up and fire up the Wheesleys at the exact same time:

screenshot15.png
screenshot16.png
screenshot17.png

If you leave the brakes off and allow a forward roll, the STOL works ridiculously well. I could probably do a STOL from on top of the VAB easily:

screenshot19.png

With the Twitch engines and the KAL controllers, the hover mode is an absolute DREAM. 

screenshot23.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.