Jool visible(ish) from Kerbin?

The Solar Gamer

He's telling the truth. I've seen it before, myself.

In theory, you might be able to see ALL planets from Kerbin's surface. With the IVA zoom, it gets easier to identify them. Hell, you may even be able to see the moons of Jool when you zoom in...

Edit: Exhibit A, Eve viewed from KSC, clearly visible as a disk:

Gooq3.jpg

ks0QD.jpg

(had to up the contrast a bit to make it show up clearly, since I was taking this through a cockpit window)

Edit 2: Exhibit B, Jool, Vall, and Duna viewed from KSC (not even at closest approach!)

ZmLVi.jpg

cDczg.jpg

Edit 3: Exhibit C, Jool visible with no zoom, at closest approach, as a green pixel:

2mCbK.jpg

(Again, contrast enhanced)

Edited by NovaSilisko

I swear it is not edited haha. It wouldn't take much than a green pixel but it is 100% real. My settings are on max so that could be the reason. Jool is pretty large, it's moon Laythe is roughly the same size as Kerbin, and I'm assuming this was the closest encounter distance from Kerbin to Jool. It could've been a glitch but I thought it was cool.

Oh Oke yeah but the pixel was so bright that it looked fake..

~Hugio88

Sorry to break it to you, but that's not Jool.

Just like the twenty-odd red stars you see from space aren't Duna.

Except that it is. It's very distinctive to see a clear 3d object flickering past as a sharp pixel, compared to the soft blurry backdrop .png of the stardome.

When you see it yourself ingame, in motion, you'll know.

I'm even running with forced FXAA (that effectively blurs the entire image further, just because i got tired of the tiny pixel flicker on complex crafts), and it's still visible from time to time =)

Here, have a Duna and a Jool:

c6lV5.png

You can even see Ike and one of Jool's moons (I don't know which, though).

That screenshot is 1280x720, AAx8, but the moons still flickered, and I had to take several pictures to get this one.

I also zoomed in the most I could.

• 7 months later...

Bit of an old thread. There's been many changes since the last post. I've been wondering about this myself. On occasion I've looked into the sky to see if there were any "wondering stars." I'm an avid ameture astronomer so I find this to be really cool. Now I just wish we could get a more realistic sky/milkyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.